Chapter 4

Score's 23-20. We're winning.

We all huddle together for a second. "Okay, guys. I get we're in the lead but, let's not get too cocky. Okay?" I say.

"Okay." They all repeat back.

"Colts on three." We all put our hands in the middle, "1...2...3!"

"Colts!" We all yell and throw our hands up.

We run back into positions. I'm serving.

I take a deep breath and pull my hand back with my other hand holding the ball. I bring my hand up hard and hit the ball over the net. The game continues.

"1 more point for colts!" The ref shouts.

This could be it. We could win against the team who has never been defeated. This could be OUR year.

I serve again. This time we get the ball back and forth between us for what feels like an hour. The girl in front of me trips and falls. The ball was coming right to her. I rush forward and dive. I hit the ball back over the net.

They thought they got the point so they had all stopped. The ball hits the ground on the other side and the crowd roars.

My team runs up to me and all hug me.

"SCARLY! SCARLY!" They all chant. I smile and Hayden runs up to us.

"Scarlett! You won!" He yells.

"No. I didn't win. We all did!" We all cheer. I break away from the group and walk up to the team captain of the other group.

"Nice Job." I smile and stick my hand out for her to shake. She shakes my hand and smiles at me.

"Thanks." I walk back over to my team and we all pile back onto the bus. Hayden has already eaten the granola bar and drank one of the Gatorade.

When we get back to the school our coach tells us to wait on the field for our parents to pick us up. Everyone sits in a group but, Hayden and I sit off to the side.

"Good job, Team Captain." Hayden teases me.

"Well, I couldn't have done it without my team." I glance over at my team and smile.

"So...You and Johnny?" He blushes.

"Yeah. I liked Johnny and he asked me out so here we are." I say.

"No, I meant... Do you actually like Johnny?" He asks this time looking very serious. I look at his wrist and notice a blue hair tie. Blue for Annie. Annie has another hair tie that's purple for Hayden.

I take a deep breath and reply, "Yes. I do actually like Johnny and if you can't handle that then I'm not sure if we can hang out." This is for Annie. This is for Annie. I think.

"I didn't mean it like that it's just-" Hayden gets cut off by the coach.

"Hayden, Scarlett, Your ride's here." The coach says.

We stand up and walk to Hayden's mom's car.

We get in and Hayden's mom says, "Your mom had to go on an emergency business trip out of town so you'll be staying with us tonight."

"Okay." I smile.

Hayden and I don't talk on the way home.

We walk up to his room and sit on opposite sides of the bed and just play on our phones.

Then Annie texts me.

------------------------------------

(A-Annie & S-Scarlett)

A- Hey, is everything okay between you and Hayden?

S- Yeah, why?

A- He told me that you got defensive with him.

S- Well, yeah b/c he asked if I actually liked Johnny or not and I was like I wouldn't be dating him if I didn't like him

A- Okay. Well, talk to him. For me. 'kay?

S- Okay.

------------------------------------------

I turn to Hayden, "Hayden, I do like Johnny and I wouldn't be dating him if I didn't."

He turns to me, "Well, what about what happened during laser tag?"

"That..." I take a breath and lie. "Was nothing."

Hayden puts his hand to my face and lightly kisses me. I pull away. "I'm sorry Hayden I like Johnny."