Chapter 5

I tell Hayden's mom I need to run to my house because I forgot something.

I open my front door and then close it. I stand there for a second then sink to my knees.

"I can't do this." I cry. I call Hannah.

"Hannah. I-I need you." I sob.

"It's Hayden isn't it?" She says.

"Yeah, but walk to my house because I'm supposed to be Hayden's house right now so, I don't want anyone seeing you go into my house."

"Okay, I'll run as fast as I can." She hangs up.

I stand up and set my phone on the coffee table. I curl up on the couch and continue to cry.

Hannah opens the door and runs into the living room.

"Scarlett." She smiles at me and wraps her arms around me, "If you really like Hayden you need to be with him."

"I-I know. It's just Annie's one of my best friends and I don't want to hurt her."

"Just tell her. Or tell Hayden. Even Tell Johnny. Johnny will get it. He's not mean and you know that." She walks to the bathroom and comes back with a hand full of tissues. She hands me one and I wipe my eyes.

"I-I can't. You know Annie's my best friend. If I told her I'd like Hayden she'd flip."

"Yeah, well if Annie was your friend she would want what's best for you." Hannah wraps her arms around me.

"Yeah but, what if I want what's best for Annie?" I ask.

"I think you should talk to Hayden about this," Hannah says.

I nod and wipe my eyes one final time.

"Does it look like I've been crying?"

She shakes her head, "No. You're fine. Now, go talk to Hayden."

I grab my phone and walk up to my bedroom. I watch out the window and wait for Hannah to leave. I take a deep breath and open my window. I climb the tree to Hayden's house. I open his window and he's laying on his bed but, when he sees me he sits up.

"Hey, You okay?" He asks.

"Yeah. Hayden. I need to talk to you about something."

"Okay, what is it?" He sets his phone down.

"I-Annie-you-umm...Hayden. I like you. I really do but, you're better off with Annie. Besides Annie's like fifty times more popular with me so, when you two are actually dating people will say, 'Hey! There's Hayden and Annie!' instead of 'Hey! There's Hayden with a random girl!' I say.

Hayden gets up and walks over to me. He kisses me gently. "Just because you're not as popular as Annie doesn't mean I like you less. And if I listen to what the media said I'd already have been dating Annie."

I smile and he wraps his arms around me. I lean my head against his chest and we stand there.

Arm-in-Arm.

For a while.

Or at least until his phone rings and scares us so, we jump apart.