[4] The Trickster's Game

He tried to hide the anguish he felt, but his eyes, damn-his heart-betrayed every effort.
"I asked you to keep this from me?" Fandral didn't sound angry,  but something stained his voice that was less than pleased. With good reason.
Odin nodded. "You begged me,  on your knees, to ease your pain. As grievous as Loki's crimes against Asgard and against you are, Ashildyr remains in the city. Hela will kill them. All of them."
Fandral nodded, his memories coursing through him anew. He had a love, a single love whom he adored more than any other being in all of the nine realms. Ashildyr, his wife. The woman he had forgotten in favour of untasted adventures. The anger that welled inside him was reserved for one person only: Loki.
Odin,  sensing his growing rage,  went on: "When you return,  protect Asgard, but do it for Ashildyr. She has not forgotten as you have. She remembers everything, and she has held onto that pain every day since you came to me." He wet his lips. "She told me she wanted to remember her crime of it meant your peace. She saw how it tore you apart,  how it killed you... "
"Laufeyson... He... he--"
-- "He deceived your wife into believing that it was you she expressed her affections for when really it was a mere guise. I make no excuse or defense for him,  you must understand, Fandral. His act shamed me as much as it did your Ashildyr. As for Loki's whereabouts now... It is beyond my sight now. "
Fandral found the name of a friend startling fitting in that moment. "Heimdall," he breathed,  "Can he find them, Thor, Ashildyr and the others?"
Odin gave a sigh that confirmed this. "It would seem that Heimdall,  despite his treachery,  still knows more than I could now. If you find him,  tell him I pardon him." The All-Father's eyes wandered slightly. "One of the Valkyrie will escort your soul back to your body in Asgard. May you protect the realm well,  my friend."