[20] No Such Thing as Fate

Ashildyr had prayed that one day her dreams would lace with his, that they were intersect somewhere in time and space. She dreamed of a tether,  a single thread that weaved in and about them,  securing their connection to one another.
Her dream wrapped her in a truth she had always held onto. That truth replayed itself in the conversation she shared with Fandral in the courtyard at dusk in what seemed like an age ago.

***

He appeared to her in his dark leather tunic,  his light hair disheveled and unmarked by his usual vanity. The way his mouth twitched eagerly told her that something was yet to be spoken.
"Fandral," she greeted him with a half-playful curtsy. She let him take her hand and kiss it.
"Lady Bravery," he winked at her, "May I have a moment?"
She nodded and they strode towards the balcony. Looking out over the land,  she found herself breathless. And it wasn't just the view. She was overwhelmingly aware of the presence beside her.
"Ashildyr," Fandral began slowly,  his breaths as calculated as the subtle clicks along his jaw. "I must speak my mind on something...on matters that pertain to you. Matters of the heart."
Her mouth went dry and she felt her stomach drop. "Oh,  Fandral I..."
He turned to face her then and took his hands in hers. He made an effort to look at their hands rather than her face.
"It's no mystery that there is something here...between us. You know what I speak of. And I... I would like to entertain the possibility of a future with you,  and... and.."
She rested a hand on his shoulder, "Fandral,"
"What I'm trying to say,  Ashildyr, is that I feel...fated to you somehow,  like there's some kind of thread knotting us toward each other and I.."
She eyed him closely. "Fandral."
He blinked, suddenly aware that she'd been calling his name for his entire oration.
"Yes?"
She curled her fingers around his. "Hasn't anyone ever told you that there is no such thing as fate?"
He grinned in disbelief. "Well,  if you don't believe in fate,  then what do you believe in?"
She looked out over the land,  at the dying light of the sun and made her reply in as gentle a voice as possible. She said it so softly, he had to lean in closer to hear it.
"Choices," she looked to him with eyes lured into confession. To watering. "And I choose you."