[8] Death and the Maiden

She looked otherworldly,  pale and almost fingertips away from a deathly realm. He rushed to her side,  kept his hands against her wound,  applying pressure. He did nothing to hide his joy at seeing her,  not his shame and terror.
She reached up and touched the wetness of his cheek. "Fandral?" she croaked out happily, "Is it really you?"
He took her hand in his and laughed. "Yes,  my love. It is. It's me. It's your Dashing Prince, remember?"
She writhed and twisted in his arms. He did his best to hold her, to keep her from leaving him just yet.
"Hey,  hey stay with me. Come on,  Hildyr. Stay with me." He kissed her hand. He looked to Skurge, desperate. His eyes pleaded with him. "Please. She needs a healer!"
Skurge's eyes drooped at the sight of the woman in Fandral's arms, how happy she seemed even at death's door. A memory flickered over the shadows behind his eyes. He had held a woman once and loved her unlike anyone else. But she was gone, and there was nothing he could do to stop it. He gave Fandral a small nod.
"Go. Now. Hela will leave no one alive,  unless you'd rather bend the knee?"
Fandral scooped Ashildyr up in his arms and spat, "I'd rather die a second time!"
Skurge cocked Des and Troy and grinned,  "Better be quick about your leave then,  Dashing."
Fandral sprinted,  Ashildyr lulling in his arms. He kept his gaze on her as he searched for a safe place to hide. There was nowhere immediately suitable, unless he planned to hide away beneath the rubble of his old bedchamber. He shook the option away. It wasn't even an option. He needed to find Eir. She would know what to do.
"Heimdall!" he called out to the sky. "Heimdall, help us!" He felt something trace the line of his jaw. It was Ashildyr's fingertips. He looked down at her to see her eyes and lips slightly parted as if to speak. He caught her hand and smiled.
"Don't worry, my love. We're going to find Eir and she's going to help us."
She smiled, "You said my name,"
He blinked, tempted to pause. "What?"
She closed her eyes,  letting her contentment flood over her,  pour out over both of them. "You said my name," A sweet, salty droplet teased her lips. It was a tear. She savoured it. "You...do you remember me?"
His amusement warmed her. "Yes,  darling." He laughed, sniffling. "Oh, I remember everything."