5 ✧ you're beautiful

» Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses. «

☼ Mackenzie Ziegler ☼

Mackenzie Ziegler

The next morning Johnny and I awoke almost simultaneously, with arms, legs, fingers and feet all in a jumble. It was the first time we'd stayed together overnight, and I'd forgotten he was even there. Normally when I share a bed with someone I kick and hit them until they roll out of bed, annoyed, but with Johnny I slept soundly all night.

The noise that woke us up was the shrill sound of his cellphone ringing, as well as Ashley groaning and telling us to "turn it off." For a brief moment, I'd forgotten that I share a room with my sister.

I shift around in Johnny's arms groggily, prising my eyes open and placing my cold hands into his hoodie pockets to find the dreaded object. After finding it I yawn widely, hand the phone to him and lie back onto his chest again. He murmurs a quiet thank you into my neck before accepting the call and pressing the phone to his ear. I shiver. And it's not from the cold.

I close my eyes again then, ready to drift off to sleep, but what the voice on the phone starts to sing jolts me awake.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Johnny, happy birthday to you!" His Mum Meredith trills, laughing.

My lips form an O, and I push myself around so my stomachs on his while gaping at him. A smile is teasing the corners of his mouth, lifting them up slightly. His eyes twinkle, and he looks very well rested. "Thanks Mum."

"You did not tell me it's your birthday!" I whisper frantically at him, still shocked.

He shrugs sleepily, saying "you never asked."

"I don't even know how old you are!" I giggle, grabbing his free hand and pulling him up towards me in all my excitement.

"I'm seven–eighteen." He corrects himself. "How old are–"

"John?" Merediths voice interrupts our conversation, and our faces separate.

My heart beats steadily, thrumming adrenaline through my veins. It's Johnny's birthday and I made him stay the night at my house. It's his birthday and I didn't get him a present for god sakes. He knew it was his birthday today and he dropped everything just to help me for one night. He didn't even mention his birthday once last night because of the fact that he was cheering me up.