10 ☼ over and over

» If true love was easy,
everyone would have it. «

✧ Johnny Orlando ✧

Johnny Orlando

Quick A/N: When you get to the song lyrics in this chapter, play the song above. You can turn the music off after reading through all the lyrics, but to understand what Mackenzie is going through, you're going to need to hear the music. This song is personally one of my favourites and it never fails to make me emotional. Please give it a chance <3

The drive to Melissa and Greg Gisoni's funeral is bleak. Dust kicks up on the road, fogging up the windscreen slightly. The sun reflects off the water through the winding trees, making sunlight dance through the windows. Tall grass sways in the wind on either side of the gravel road. We bump up and down, the silence between Mackenzie and I getting more unpleasant by the second.

I turn on the radio to drown out my deafening thoughts. A song by Ronan Keaton is playing– When you say nothing at all. Mackenzie winds down her window, and I look over at her. She's biting her lip, cheeks flushed. She looks shattered, as do I, despite the beautiful black mourning dress she wears. I sigh, bringing my eyes back to the road, and listen to the song.

It's amazing how you can speak right to my heart
Without saying a word, you can light up the dark
Try as I may I could never explain
What I hear when you don't say a thing

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes saying you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me wherever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all

All day long I can hear people talking out loud
But when you hold me near, you drown out the crowd

"Stop." Mackenzie chokes out all of a sudden, voice overcome with emotion. "Stop the car!"

Heart thumping, I pull over to the side of the road and look over at her frantically. She scrambles out of her seatbelt, opening the door and running out. "Kenz!" I yell after her.

I don't know why I thought she would turn around. She runs through the field of grass next to the road, hair and dress flying out behind her, until she's out of sight.

"Damnit Kenz." I curse, untangling myself from the seatbelt and the car. I look along the road before opening my door, and then run after her.

Grass brushes both sides of me as I follow the trodden on grass and the sounds of her sobbing. It doesn't take me long to find her. She's standing in the middle of nowhere, leaning her back against a tree with her hands pushing her hair off her face. I start walking again when I see her, taking care not to crunch any leaves or twigs under my feet. She must have heard me coming anyway though, because she starts talking through her cries.