Chapter 5- A Big Brother

Jason's pov

I was making breakfast for the girls when there was a knock at the door. "Who could that be?" I mumble. I open the door and am surprised to see my neighbor June. "Hey what's up?" "I was wondering if you wanted to join me and my girls, we're going to the lake later. I could use the company." I glance behind me. "I.. Uh not today. I've got to figure a bunch of stuff out with my nieces and sister. Lots of crap went on the last couple days." "Oh OK. Well I'll see ya around." I close the door and go back to the kitchen. "What're we doing?" Sierra asks. "I haven't figured it out yet." I say, scratching my head and sitting down. I feel a small hand on mine. "We're sorry uncle Jason." I sigh sadly. "It's not your fault kiddo. I should've tried harder against your mom." "Why is mama like that?" Miranda asks. "No frickin' clue. Our parents didn't raise her like this that's for damn sure." I say shaking my head. My phone rings. Ugh. "Kasi." I mumble. "No! Don't answer it!" Sierra gasps grabbing my phone and jumping down. "Hey! Sierra give me back my phone!" I gasp shocked. "No! She'll make us go back! I don't wanna go back!! Please!!! I don't wanna live like that anymore!" I can't even think. "Give me my phone now." I demand. "Please!" She begs, stepping back, clutching my phone tight. It stops ringing, meaning voicemail. I sigh frustrated. "Please don't call her back!" "I have to. She's freaking out, worrying about you two!" I get my phone back and check the voicemail. Kasi was crying hysterically on the line. "I'm sorry, Jason. I know you have no reason to want to talk to me but.. I'm so scared... I'm so alone. I need my big brother. The k-kids are g-gone. Please if you still care about me even a little... Please... Help me.... I can't do this alone. I need you... I n-need my b-big brother." I sigh and lower the phone. She's definitely suffered enough. "Come on girls, load up." "No! I'm not going back!" Sierra says, stomping her foot. "You have to. She's terrified!" Finally after almost an hour of arguing and convincement, I get them in my truck. I drive to her house. She was crying on the front porch. "Stay in the car." I say then get out. I sit beside her. "They're gone! My babies are gone!" She whimpers, crying into her hands. "Kasi, if you weren't so overprotective of them, they wouldn't have even wanted to run away." "I'm a horrible mother!" "No you're not." I say hugging her. "You're... You're just misguided." "They hate me... I... I accidentally slapped Miranda. I feel horrible!" I'll tell her now. "Kasi, Miranda and Sierra are in my truck. They called me last night from a gas station pay phone." She stands up lightning quick, shaking. "They're alright?!" She cries relieved running to my truck and opening the back door. "Thank God!" I walk over. "Sis ya can't hold them on a leash anymore. You've gotta let 'em go." "B-But... W-What if th-they get hurt?" She whimpers, putting a hand against Miranda's cheek. "Then they'll get back up and try again. You can't let them live in a box. Heck you didn't. You used to climb trees and go fishing with your big bro. What happened to that Kasi? I want her back." She starts to cry again. "I'm sorry girls. I'm so so sorry. Can you ever forgive me?" "Can Uncle Jay come over again?" My younger niece asks, making me smile sadly. She nods. "Of course he can." She hugs her. "Come on kids let's go inside." I say smiling and crossing my arms. I hear the sound of a truck pulling into the drive. I look back. A red mustang. "What's....." My eyes get huge. Patrick steps out as Kasi gets Miranda out of my truck. "Daddy!" She cries shocked. I am too. "Hey princess!" She runs over and hugs him. "What... The hell?" I gape shocked. Kasi looks shocked too. "P-Patrick..... Y-You came back!" Sierra gets out but doesn't go over to him. Finally he looks up from hugging Miranda and his eyes land on me. Shit. "What the hell are you doing here?" "I could ask you the same question." I mutter glaring at him annoyed. Sierra grabs the bottom of my shirt, looking worried. "I live here, dumbass." "You just abandoned us!" Kasi shouts, clenching her fists. "I had to! You were driving me crazy! I had to cool off for a few weeks!" I can't believe I was right. "Daddy why'd you leave us?" Miranda asks  quietly. He sighs. "Miranda come over here honey." I say. He grabs her arm. "Don't you tell my kids what to do!" He gripes. "You're an asshole." I grumble. "Why don't ya tell them why ya cut me out of their lives?! Huh? You controlling overly steroided fuck!" He glares at me pissed off. "Ow! Daddy you're hurting me!" Miranda cries trying to pull free. "Let her go!" I shout angrily. He throws her to the ground and walks over, standing right in front of me. "You're a lowlife prick." He growls. "I'm gonna deck you across this fucking yard if you don't get the fuck outta my face." I shove him backwards which only fuels his rage. "I'm gonna kill you!" "Bring it on punk, it's been a long time comin'!" I growl tightening my fists. "Kasi take the girls inside and lock the door." "B-But-" "Do it. NOW!" I shout as Patrick runs forward and tries to punch me but I dodge. They go inside. "A real man doesn't abandon his family you pathetic shithead!" I punch him in the stomach and bend his arm behind his back. He kicks his leg back then pulls free. "You ain't got nothin' on a Georgia boy like me." I snap, popping my knuckles. He glares at me. "You're a loser. I'm shocked you aren't living on the streets begging for spare change." I roll my eyes. "I'll have you know. I've got a hell of a lot more people backin' me up than you ever will, dumbass." I say, punching him in the face. He roundhouse kicks me, making me stumble back in surprise. He plows into me, knocking me to the ground and punching me in the face. "I've got a dozen folks I could call right the hell now who'd bury you six feet under no questions asked!" I gripe, trying to hold his fist back. But he nails me in the face again. This idiot is knocked up on steroids. "I bet you don't have anyone but my sister!" "I don't need anyone!" He growls. I kick him off of me and kick him in the face. I stand up and dust myself off as he coughs in the dirt. "I especially don't need your whore of a sister." He says smirking. A fire of rage lights deep inside of me. I yank out my knife and pin him to the ground, pressing it to his throat. "Take it back you pathetic fuck!" "Fuck you." He mutters. "I'll have you fucking know. You're the only man my sister has ever slept with. She is not a whore!" He laughs and headbutts me. I grit my teeth in rage and punch him as hard as I fucking can. "You're the low life scum who convinced her to have sex before she was ready! You're the douche bag who got her pregnant at 19 then left for three months! The only reason you married her was cause you felt like you had to! And you cut me out of their lives after Miranda was born because I knew!" I yell, pinning him to my truck, enraged. "Knew what?" He chokes out wheezing. "I knew that you were a nothing. A nobody. And my sister was dumb enough to fall for your pitiful stupid controlling ass. Never again. This time I'll be the brother she needs!" I throw him to the ground and yank open my door, grabbing my gun. He scoots away caught off guard. "Yeah. Not so tough are ya, loser!" I slam the door shut and stomp over, thrusting the gun under his chin and grabbing his shirt. "Take it the fuck back right now!" I growl. "F-Fine. I take it back." I stand back up. "If I ever see you around my baby sister or my nieces, I will pull the trigger." I gripe. "Got it?" " They're my kids!" "Oh yeah? Well they're my nieces and you're jacked up ass doesn't stand a chance against a Georgian. So scram!" He glares at me. "I'll be back!" He shouts, pointing then leaving. "Good riddance." I mutter holstering my pistol and walking to the house.