Kabanata 13

Mother

~•~

Murmurs resounded throughout the hall when Fatima and Venda arrived. Servants were busy talking to each other. Most are confused of what Valdis would say.

"Silence," the butler's deep voice stopped the confabulations.

Everyone composed themselves as Fatima rubbed off the wrinkles on her dress. Now that she has remembered it, she hasn't changed her clothes yet! That explains why some are throwing her weird glances.

Someone tapped her shoulder which brought her back to her senses. She looked beside her and saw Venda's muddled look.

"Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah. What did you say again?"

Venda pouted. "You spaced out."

Binaling niya ang paningin sa stage. Naroon pa rin si Valdis at nagsisimula na sa kaniyang announcement.

"S-sorry."

Venda smiled. "It's okay. You know you can tell me what's bothering you."

She looked back at Venda and gave a small smile which the latter returned.

"But it's okay if you don't want to open up. Sorry."

She shook her head. Masyadong mababaw ang problema niya para pag-alalahanin ang ibang tao.

"I'm just worried about my dress. It just dawned on me why some are giving me weird stares," she explained.

"Oh." Tila nagulat si Venda ngunit maya-maya'y humagikhik. Agad naman itong sumeryoso."I thought it's something else. I heard what happened when you and Alisa returned."

Napilitan naman si Fatima na magpaskil ng naliit na ngiti. It's the best she could give to this thoughtful lady beside her.

"I'm okay." I should be. She just needed to think about her future plans and her family to stay strong despite what she's gone through earlier. I should be okay, I should not be affected by how someone talk down on me.

Fatima snapped out of her trance when the hall was filled with murmurs.

"What did he say?" tanong niya sa katabi.

"He said that there would be tight rules starting tomorrow."

Nakita niyang hinintay muna ni Valdis na humupa ang protesta ng mga tao roon, bago ito magsalitang muli. Siguro'y upang dagdagan ang mga naunang nasabi.

"Young Master has noticed misconducts regarding the policies for the servants," mariin nitong sabi. She caught the butler's gaze. Tila ipinapahiwatig ng mga mata nito na para sa kaniya ang mensaheng iyon.

She swallowed the lump on her throat.

"A tight rule will be implemented regarding your rest day. No one is allowed to go outside of the mansion premises if it is not your rest day, regardless the days you skipped."

Fatima can't help but flinch inside with what Valdis had said. Especially when he's looking at her the whole time he speaks as if the rule was made because of her. But it is, isn't it?

"The Young Master had made himself clear. Remember what you are here for. He doesn't tolerate unprofessionalism. We wouldn't want the Master to hear about this, would we?" tanong ni Valdis. Nanatili namang tahimik ang mga naroon na tila naguguluhan kung bakit bigla na lamang naghigpit ang kanilang Young Master.

"I said, do you want the Master to know about this?" Valdis repeated, this time with more conviction.

"No," tahimik na sagot ng lahat.