Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Another elevator, the fastest means of transport in an office block. Guests for the function stood next to Savage, he rolled his sleeves down, retrieved his jacket from the bag then slung a pre-knotted tie around his neck just in case. By the time he'd finished he looked as smooth as he always did, apart from a couple of creases in the sleeves.

The pin-stripe next to him snickered and sneered as only the moneyed and entitled can. Savage's skin was still swarthy and tanned from the Middle East, he doubted whether the man could tell if he was white, black, Arab, servant or party-goer.

It must have confused the two brain cells rattling around in his domed head.

'At least you look vaguely human,' the man said.

The woman next to him choked on the pony she'd swallowed and snorted through her teeth. Savage assumed it was a laugh.

He turned to the pair. Looked them up and down, bared his teeth, and snarled.

'More human than you jack-ass.'

When the doors opened he ignored the man's, 'Listen here, you,' and strode towards the maitresse d'. A rather busy woman in sheer silk with two goons by her side. Savage gave them the once over. They did the same with him.

'Invite please,' she said.

He showed her his card and pass, 'I'm not here for the party. My boss Trevor Thomson is inside and we can't reach him on his phone.'

'All phones are switched off in the main room.'

'Then I need to find him. I'll be quick as I can.'

'Sorry sir, we'll send someone to find him for you,' she waved one of the goons over.

Smiles. 'That's great,' he said. A second elevator spat out its guests and they headed for the desk.

'But it'd be better if I found him.' He leaned in, 'Sensitive situation.'

'Sorry sir, as I said—'

'We've got a serious security situation downstairs,' he said, loud enough for the guests behind him to hear. He turned to the queue, 'We're losing millions of these fine peoples' money every minute and you want to waste time on procedure?'

'Millions?' someone said.

'Christ, there goes another gazebo,' another said.

The goon raised a hand to Savage's shoulder.

'Touch me and you'll be out of a job by the end of the day.' The goon scowled. Muscles liked to get their own way.

The maitresse d' stalled, 'Sir, really, I can't.'

'The hat check girl here thinks her clipboard is more important than you,' he said to the audience. 'Well, okay. I'll just wait here while one of these big lumps tries to find a man he doesn't know in a room full of people he doesn't know. I wonder how much money we'll lose in that time? Probably a headline by the end of the day, then our stocks plummet, then these people here lose even more money.'

'Oh can we get on,' shouted a towering silver fox at the back of the queue. 'Just let the man in already.'

'At least somebody serve us an aperitif while we wait for the run on the bank,' that got a chuckle.

The woman gave Savage a look, then stepped aside.

'Thanks. Hey you,' he said to the nearest goon, 'hold this,' and shoved the bag into the man's chest.

In the main room a glass of wine from a tray was the first order of business. Then he strolled.

The room took up half a floor of the tower and held about three hundred people. A few glances his way didn't reveal much. Investors, clients, it was a mixed bag. He saw a MILF eye-balling him, hell MILF was a young-person phrase, she was a vixen nearer his own age. He strolled over and caught her leer with one of his own.