Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

The couple sat on the living room sofa. Close. But the emotional distance between them all too obvious.

Scott Armstrong rubbed his neck. He wouldn't look either of them in the eye. The shame too great. Warm air from outside cooled on the parquet floor.

'Water.' Scott croaked. 'Please.'

Violet Wilson looked from her husband, partner, man-chum? No rings on their fingers – to Savage. Asking for permission? No. She shook her head almost imperceptibly and walked to the kitchen. Her heels click-clacking on the floor.

The man's eyes darted about the room, never looking in Savage's direction. The father of two had wanted a permanent out, his troubled eyes still sought an exit.

'You're not married?'

He shook his head. 'Living in sin. Corporate life. We never found the time.'

'So,’ Savage said, ‘tell me.' Hands spread wide, relaxed, open – to make Scott feel comfortable.

Scott's own hands shook.

'I can't.'

'Trust me. The worst has already happened,' he gestured to the hallway.

'There's worse.'

'Tell me.'

'Much worse,' he said. His eyes welled up.

'Tell me,' Savage said with more tenderness.

The Relationship Director just shook his head, and then couldn't stop shaking it.

'I can't,' he said and let out a cry. 'It was never supposed to be like this.'

'Tell him about Cerberus Scott, please.' Violet stood at the door, a glass of water in hand. She moved to him. He took it. Mouth open.

'How—'

'Drink,' she said.

'In a nutshell Mr Savage,' she said, all business. 'My other half has been investing money for some gangsters and they are now extorting more money from him.'

Scott looked up at her.

'What you think I can't check your emails? Your accounts? I run all the computers in our company. We monitor everything as a matter of course.'

'But why?'

'Because for two years now you haven't been my partner.'

'Vi, that's just not true.'

'Isn't it? You've been present, yes. We've got this house, yes, Nice cars, sure. Private schools for the kids, yes, but their father is absent.'

'I did it for you. For the kids.'

'Oh please.'

'It's true, I just didn't realise what I'd gotten into. Then I couldn't get out. You must believe me.'

'You just tried to kill yourself.'

'I didn't know what else to do.'

'You could have talked to me.'

'I wanted to.' He reached out a hand. 'I really did.' She didn't respond. He closed his hand around hers. 'But the less you knew the better.'

She looked up, tears in her own eyes, and put her other hand over his.

'Babe, I love you and the kids,' he said, 'I never meant it to go this far.'

Savage dragged his chair across the floor. Sat down right under their noses, looked each directly in the eye. 'You need to tell me,' he said. 'Everything. Now.'