Chapter 3

Another chapter of Lady of the Flies!!! I really hope you like this one because it dives into the characters even more!! Remember to comment and vote!!
xoxoxo
Neverland's Dreamer
----------------------------------------------y
"Where have you been?", Piggy whined, flailing his arms as Clare and Jack walked up the sandy shoreline to the other boys. Clare smiled to herself. As if they couldn't see the pudgy boy without all that hand waving.

The rest of the boys had moved farther inland, not on the powdery dunes anymore, but clustered on the edge of the thick jungle. The younger boys were still asleep, huddled together on the grass, while the older ones were sitting cross legged on the dirt, hacking at what appeared to be round yellow fruits.

Clare did not know how she managed to fall asleep on the rocks with Jack. She clearly remembered talking to him about how she wished they would find food soon. Then, she found herself waking up between two, hard rocks and her brown hair knotted beyond hope.

"We fell asleep" Jack said casually as they walked up to a very indignant Piggy.
"Fell asleep!" Piggy scoffed. "You could have drowned, or gotten lost, or even eaten by a wild beast!"
"Oh shut up!" Jack said, his brow furrowed. Clare could tell by now that he didn't like to be scolded or told what to do. "There are no beasts on this island anyways."
"W-well" Piggy stammered obviously intimidated by the older boy's tone of voice. "N-next time t-tell me where your g-going."
"Why you little-"
"Okay Piggy we understand." Clare said kindly. She shot that last word warningly at Jack. She understood Jack had a temper at their little confession session last night, but that was no excuse to hurt soft, round, defenseless Piggy. Grabbing onto his arm, Clare dragged Jack around the fat boy and to a shady patch of the platform.
"Why'd you do that?" Jack asked, yawning, he was obviously still half asleep. He ran a hand through his flame red hair to try to smooth it out a bit.
"Not everyone wants to pick a fight with you, nosebleed." Clare said, exasperated. She crossed her arms and sat back on her hip. " Can't you see that boy was just trying to talk to you. He was worried about us for Gods sake! Why couldn't you just listen instead of trying to jump him!" There was a concentrated look on Jack's face and Clare thought that her words made him feel a bit guilty.
"Nosebleed?" Jack asked smirking. Clare's face fell, she realized her words didn't sink in.
"It's an American thing!" Clare said throwing her hands up in the air in defeat.
There is really no helping this boy.

"Glad to see you to are still alive"

Ralph

Clare wheeled around to face the blonde boy. His hair was sandy and dirt was smudged on his face. Clare now felt guilty, he looked like he had been working hard. She felt Jack go rigid at her side, he did not like the light haired boy. His arms were full of round fruits and he dumped them into a pile at their feet.
"Around the shore, by a bunch of rocks, we accidentally fell asleep" Ralph nodded and continued to wipe his sandy hands on his pants. He had ripped them so they were just above his knee to act as shorts. Most of the other boys followed this example.
"Looks like you two had fun." He said giving her a sly wink and running his tongue lightly along his bottom lip.
Clare's face went scarlet as she caught on to the joke. Her dress was askew and wrinkled and her hair was tousled and matted. Jack, meanwhile, was just as rough-looking, with bed-head hair and a shirt unbuttoned a little too far. "Wha – no!" Clare stammered, and Jack flirtingly raised his eyebrows at her.

Ralph laughed. "Relax, I'm just kidding." His blue eyes gleamed with friendliness, but Clare caught something else, Jealousy? and Clare caught herself wondering if this was the same boy from the night before whose ego had been so inflated.

There was an awkward silence for a few seconds, and Clare idly traced lines in the sand with her big toe.

"You two hungry?" Ralph asked finally. "We found these trees inside the jungle...only about a few yards in. They have these orange fruits all over them." He gestured to the pile of fruit he'd dropped, from which the other boys had began to pick from.