Chapter 16

Hey loves! I really truly thank you for the wonderful support and comments I've been getting on this fanfic <3 I hope you guys enjoy chapter sixteen!! (Its juicy :) ) ps above is where you can find a Jack face reveal! I didn't show too much of his face bc I still want to leave Jack to your wonderful imaginations XD

xoxo

NeverlandsDreamer

————————————————————

All alone even when I was a child
I knew there was something to be
Frightened of
I can see it coming from the
Edge of the room
Creeping in the streetlight and holding
My hand in the pale gloom
Can you see it coming now?

————————————————————

A whisper rang out through the thick curtain of nightfall, but the crackling of the hazy fire made it almost impossible to hear. It sounded again and finally made its way to the sleeping boy's ears.

"Sam!"

The boy rubbed the remains of precious sleep from his eyes and shot a bothered look at his twin.

"What is it Eric?"

The boy stuttered. For a second a shadow of shame washed over his face, but then fear enveloped his features. He coughed from the smoke of the fire, Eric always hated fire watch.

"I saw something in the forest there....." he trailed, looking quickly at the dense brush. "I s-saw the beast."

A pent a laughter swelled beneath Sam, fresh and raw in its intentions. He fell over into the soft sand with glee. But then he saw the seriousness crinkled in his brother's face and gave him a look that had the clear tale of sarcasm in it.

"You're not being serious are you?" He said, his lips formed a thin line of contempt. Sam looked sheepishly at the floor and drew patterns in the sand with his index finger. Eric let out a firm sigh.

"Look, don't be daft, there's not a beast, no, Ralph said there wasn't."

Sam continued to look idly at the ground. The fear in his face and the firmness in Eric's were so different, that they didn't really look like twins anymore, and more like two different people instead of identical. Seeing his brother's continued hesitation, Eric said the one thing he knew that would shut Sam up.

"Sam, just go to sleep, you'll be fine."

"I will?" Sam asked, unsure.

"Yes."

A punctuated silence stretched before their fiery nook, as Eric fell asleep. It inundated every sector and crevice in its cold slithering claws. The encroached waves slurped along the shoreline and licked at the frothy boundary between land and sea.

The silence was utterly and amazingly terrifying.

————————————————————

The beach was silent.

Apart from the silent trill of the waves, the entire clearing breathed in quiet sighs, somehow relieved by the lessened presence of the hunters. The feigned distraught dissipated into wary acceptance, and now, the small group huddled about the golden sand, staring at the barren area in saddened adherence.