Chapter 14

Hey lovelies! I'm back (finally). So, there is a ton of stuff that goes down in this chapter, so, that's good! I'm so tired after state tests, oof, they were so rough. Hang in there guys! Also please excuse my spelling, I didn't edit this, oops?

xoxo

NeverlandsDreamer

————————————————————

I find it hard to tell you
You find it hard to take
When people run in circles
It's a very very
Mad world
Mad world

————————————————————

Clare's feet reacted before her mind could. A helicopter was slowly passing above the island. She started running as if it was a reflex, and barely noticed her feet scraping against the jagged edges of rocks, besides, she was used to pain. Her heart pounded to the beat of her footsteps racing over the earthy jungle. As she reached the foot of the mountain, she broke into a climbing sprint. Sweat began to bead around her forehead causing her hair to cling to it. Her throat began to ache from her lack of air, but her will to be rescued overpowered her. Her legs burned as she ran, her feet flying. She reached the mountain's summit and saw the sleek copter fly overhead.

Suddenly, as if from thin air, Ralph came bounding to the top and almost crashed into her. There was a split second of emotion between the two, for they hadn't seen each other since all the drama that had happened, but they forced them down. Rescue was what mattered most.

They waved their hands over their heads and screamed until their lungs would give out. As the helicopter still didn't see them, Clare felt her willpower go out. She had never screamed so loud in her life. Sure enough the people in the copter would see them? Wouldn't they? She continued to flail her arms in a frenzy. They both screamed into the endless abyss of ocean.

The copter was out of sight. Her throat was raw. Tears ran silently down her face, god, why did she have to cry so much?

The was just a pile of charred wood where a hissing fire should have been, she suddenly understood why. Her hope was doused like the fire that lay smoldering in the ash that once was flame. Her heart was drenched in sadness; the fire was out. There was no smoke. The thought of being rescued faded past the pale blue sea and left only a quivering feeling of defeat.

Ralph stood staring at the ashen fire, his face as pale as the clouds above.

Tentatively, Clare moved towards the blonde, her fingers trembling as her hand met his shoulder. He looked up, shocked at the contact, but it was just a consoling gesture. His dark blue eyes were matted his confusion, confusion and dark, dark anguish. Ralph's lips fell apart, almost as if he was going to speak, but only a quiet breath came forth. Clare melted. Reality hit her like a brick, that was their one shot, their ticket home.

Clare pulled him close when his legs faltered beneath him and comforted him, it was the least she could do.

Flustered, he pushed himself away, watching in hopeless despair as the helicopter dimmed against the backdrop of the sea. He reached out, almost as if to thwart the thing, and then fell to his knees.

"Wait!" His voice was hoarse, caught in his throat somewhere between tears and disbelief. "Wait!"

Clare stepped back, threaded in between the dreaded realization that rescue had so easily slipped from her waiting grasp.

Her heart turned bitter.

Ralph's pleas ended prematurely, and slowly, he brought himself to stand, shaking in obvious anger. Tear swollen eyes turned to a furious glare, and where bewilderment once shaded his face, anger now stole his expression.