8 - The Party Drags On

An hour or so passes by, and we've come nowhere close to executing our targets. To make ourselves look less conspicuous, 47 decides to take me with him onto the dance floor. I just follow his lead, my eyes scanning the room thoroughly as we dance around.

He takes my right hand into his left hand and wraps his right arm around me, resting it on the small of my back. I can feel him dip me in the same way Michael did, but I don't feel as exposed or. . ."violated" by 47.

While I'm upside down, my eyes continue to scan the room. They suddenly fall upon the man and woman that are walking toward us. Even though the world around me is upside down like I am, I can tell that the man with her is Michael Johnson.

"That, agents, is Ruby Johnson. She and her parents-along with her two younger brothers-grew up in a small mountain community somewhere near Drisking, Missouri, but decided that the life she had wasn't meant for her. When she was eighteen, she moved from the United States to Liverpool, where she eventually met Michael. Of course, they married and had a son, but moved here shortly after his death. Her husband isn't the only one who's dangerous."

47 slowly brings me back into a standing position as the music comes to a stop. We clap to show the musicians some courtesy, and the couple has approached us.

Michael gives me a smile that makes me clench my teeth, "Hello again, sweetheart." He says, his eyes scanning up and down my figure. He frowns slightly when 47 puts himself between us, shielding my exposed cleavage from his viewpoint.

Ruby glares at me, but I have nothing to be afraid of. She's much shorter than I am without her heels, and barely even looks me in the eyes when she's in them. But, nonetheless, she speaks up, "Hello, my name is Ruby." She says, forcing a smile onto her lips. I can tell she's faking it. "Michael, my husband here, and I would formally like to invite you to a. . .private party in our quarters." To me, her expression becomes sinister. "It will only be the four of us. What do you say?"

"This could work in your favor." Diana whispers in our ears.

I look at 47, and he seems like he's in deep thought. Eventually, he nods his head at the two of them.

"We'll accompany you." He says, his voice hard and stern. "But don't try anything." He looks dead at Michael when he says this and I can feel him pull me closer to him in a protective manner. Michael puts his hands up and gives us a slight smile, as if trying to say that he's not going to try anything. I get the feeling that somehow he's lying.

"Excellent!" Ruby exclaims, clapping her hands together with glee. "Come, this way." She turns on her heels and walks alongside Michael as the two of them lead us down a long stretch of hallway-further away from the party than I expected. Probably so no one else can hear those poor girls scream for help.

When I look over my shoulder, I notice that there's nobody following us; no bodyguards or anything. I smile a little; this execution is going to be a cinch.

47 tightens his grip around my arm and it seems like he doesn't want to let me go. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he actually cares about me. If I'm being honest with myself, it actually kind of warms my heart to see him acting like this. Then again, we are playing a bride and groom. . . .

We stop at a way secluded area far in the back of the hotel. I inhale and exhale as many deep breaths as I can, trying to keep myself calm. I squeeze 47's rather muscular bicep to give myself some form of comfort. He doesn't seem to mind it, though.

Michael opens the door and Ruby walks in first. I follow behind her, 47 follows behind me, and Michael follows behind 47. My heart thumps against my chest as the door clicks behind us. I don't think he's gonna lock it, but I have my doubts.