Chapter 19: Party Time

"Yes, but the fundamentals of the company are still very, very strong," I hear Pepper's voice echo from the main lounge, from where I stand at the kitchen counter. It wasn't hard to hear the slight strain to Pepper's voice as she said this and even though I didn't know who exactly it was that she was talking too, I gathered it wasn't good.

From the moment that we had arrived in Malibu, the five of us- Tony, Pepper, Nat, Happy and myself- had all been kept busy, dealing with the aftermath of what had happened in Monaco. Happy had disappeared almost the moment that we had arrived at the house, to talk to the security team about a tighter protection unit for both Tony and Pepper, the former having disappeared in his workshop, doing who knows what. Pepper and Nat had been on the phone for I don't know how long, talking to people that I didn't know and I had been with them myself for the first hour, declining any requests of Tony doing a press conference, at his insistence. Eventually, I had had enough and turned off my phone, which Pepper had said that I was welcome to do at any time. I think that she could sense both my frustration and exhaustion and had insisted that I finish for the night or to at least take a break. And here I was now, making Tony some pasta for his dinner.

I didn't mind doing this-normally I wasn't a fan of cooking- but Tony's kitchen was well-equipped and all I had to do was ask Jarvis where everything was if I wasn't completely sure. The AI had surprisingly been good company to me for the past half hour, in the vast kitchen.

"I must say that the way you make your carbonara sauce is quite different to any that I have seen of before," Jarvis now says.

"Family recipe," I explain, while keeping my eyes on the delicious smelling sauce in the pot. "I learnt it from my uncle."

"What exactly have you added in to it, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Sorry Jarvis, but it's a family secret," I reply, shooting a small smile in the vast, empty air, not sure where exactly to send the smile too. I was after all, talking to a program. "You'll just have to watch closer next time."

"Darn."

"Anyway...who's turn was it again?"

"I believe it was mine."

"Fire away then."

"I spy something that begins with the letter x."

I raise an eyebrow, skeptical at his choice and say as I turn the stovetop off, "Jarvis...you do remember that I have to be able to see whatever it is that you see in order for this game to work. I can't see everything in the house like you can."

"Oh."

"What was it anyway?"

"Xylophone. Mr Stark keeps one in the attic, along with his other childhood belongings. They have been in storage for many years now."

I can't help but smile at the fact that Tony used to play and still has a xylophone. I found it quite cute and for some reason, unnatural to think of Tony actually playing with a toy as a child, rather than just with something like a tool.

"That's sort of cute," I admit to the AI as I begin to search the cupboards for a bowl. "Hey J, where are the-"

"Second drawer to your left."

"Thanks!" I reply quickly hurrying to the drawer that Jarvis had indicated. "You little mind-reader you."

"I have been called many things, but I can assure you that a mind reader is not one of them."

"Well, now you can say you have," I reply, before I then start to dish up dinner. "Alright then...is it my turn?"

"I believe so."