Chapter 38: The Destroyer

We're under attack.

We're under attack.

We're under attack.

The words continue to ring throughout my head long after Phil's voice had cut off on the other end of the line, his words causing butterflies to fly around nervously in my stomach. I could feel the temperature in the room drop slightly as I subconsciously lowered my hand from beside my face to my side, my grip on the phone going slack. I was half surprised that it didn't slip out of my loose hold and go crashing to the tiled floor beneath me, though the small and rationale voice in the back of my mind noted that this was a good thing.

We're under attack.

I didn't doubt what Phil had last said to me over the phone as I had heard the noises of explosions and guns firing in the background as he had told me. He and the other S.H.I.E.L.D agents were under attack, though by whom or what I didn't know. From the amount of noise that I had heard, it had sounded as if Phil and the others were facing against an army, judging from the level of catastrophic noises that I could hear before the line had died.

Whatever was happening, it wasn't good.

Something is wrong.

"Lydia," comes the sound of an anxious voice from the bathroom door in front of me. When I lift my gaze from the floor, I find myself staring blankly at a confused Erik who was standing in the doorway, his hands raised as he gripped each side of the door frame by his side. Long gone were the looks of bewilderment, wonder and awe that he had been wearing on his face moments ago when he had been standing in front of the Asgardians, the people from the legends that he grew up with as a child. Rather the features of his face were laced with confusion and worry now, his blue eyes skimming over my face for signs of harm. I knew that he could tell that something was wrong just by looking at me, and this was only confirmed further when he asks nervously, "What is it? We heard you shouting-"

Move. Now.

His words have been springing into action and out of whatever daze I had momentarily found myself in, as I stalk towards the door and push past him as gently as I could. I hurry back towards the open room, well aware that Erik was hot on my heels and continuously asking me what was wrong as we went, causing for everyone else in the room to look at me as I moved past them. I don't pay them the slightest of attention however as I move towards the entrance while shoving my phone in my pocket, my eyes cast on the horizon in front of me as I marched determinedly. I find myself coming to a halt in shock once I reach the glass doors in front of me and see what's beyond them however. I hear the humans and the Asgardians approach me from behind though they all come to a stop and let out gasps of surprise and shock when they see what it was that I was staring at, the eight of them flanking both of my sides, saying nothing as we stared.

Out in the middle of the desert we could all faintly make out large fires and small explosions going off, causing the air to fill with smoke as the rest of the street in front of us filled with residents who were staring at the same thing we were. They gasped and muttered things to themselves fearfully as more and more explosions went off-though the majority of them were focusing on the massive storm cloud that was identical to the one that Jane, Darcy, Erik and I had witnessed the night that we had found Thor, that was now retracting back up towards the sky. The storm cloud that Thor had come from-or in this case, the Bifrost.

Someone else had followed the Asgardians through.

Though something told me that unlike the ones that stood beside me, they weren't exactly here for a peaceful manner.

And from what Phil had told me, I was willing to bet that he was out there right now.

With that thought in mind I instantly turn on the spot and demand almost accusingly from the Gods in front of me, "Was there anyone else that was meant to be joining you here on Earth? Was there somebody else coming?"