Chapter One

See our story is one for the books man. Kehlani and I have something that is one of a kind... I mean through all the bullshit and confusion we made it work. She's opened my eyes to see a different me that I never thought I would ever unlock. So sit back and prepare for the ride, cause trust me, it's a rocky one.

###

It was a chilly day in October. Manhattan was so cold that I swore that I could see the ice forming on my fingertips. I walked into the tattoo shop, being engulfed by the warmth of the building. I saw Shaina sitting next to Kahh at the front desk as I stepped into the building.

"Dom you in some shit, sis. Running on colored people time and shit," Kahh laughed before muttering something to Shai.

"Yeah, Dom must've been with that shorty Janelle from New Orleans... You know they got that voodoo and shit... she got Dom sprung and she doesn't even know why," Shai burst out in laughter. "Dom you gotta teach me that shit fam."

"Shut up before Cooth hears y'all," I said shaking my head. Cooth was my best friend and to be honest quite the asshole if I wasn't on my shit. Me and Cooth met a few years back at a tattoo convention in Vegas and we've been homies ever since. We went from only getting three people a day to tattooing stars that I could only dream of working with.

Soon as I said that, her voice echoed down the hallway.

"It's about motherfucking time your ass decided to show up. I've had this girl waiting on you for 45 minutes now,"Cooth called.

"Damn let me take off jacket first, gahdamn," I said frankly. "And last time I checked, my nigga, I didn't have any appointments."

"Well remember, there was a time where you didn't have ANY appointments. Be grateful lil nigga. You'll calm down once you see her."

"Fuck you then, Cooth. That's why I was with your bitch last night," I laughed, barely dodging the pack of gloves that she threw in my direction.

"Her name is Kehlani by the way," Cooth yelled.

I took my jacket without even looking at her. I looked at the post-it on my bulletin board, seeing what the appointment entailed.

COVER UP!! Make sure to consult with the client due to previous cover up work with diff. Tattoo artist. May take multiple sessions. BE FLEXIBLE! Client schedule is extremely demanding. DON'T FUCK THIS UP, DOM!!!! IMPORTANT CLIENT!!!!!

I continued to set up the equipment and the change my needles as my hands quivered around the cold metal. I felt her uncomfort and her awkwardness began to create a thickness in the air.

"So, I hear you're getting a cover-up. Where do you plan on getting it? Well, I guess you can show me where, sweetheart...if you please" I stated without even looking at her.

"Well, um, I have a collection of tattoos on my shoulder that I'm not feeling anymore. I started the cover-up a while back, but you know time and just being busy in general has stopped the progress," she said shyly. I immediately recognized her voice. I knew by how intoxicated I became that this was her.

I stumbled looking for words. Shit, I had been fan-girling over this girl and now she was in my presence. I all I could do was keep setting up.

"Cooth told me about your work a while back, so I thought I would give you a shot. I loved your work that I've seen so far," she said slightly giggling.

"It's an honor, love. Thank you for letting me make your body my canvas," I cooed back. I blushed as the words left my lips, regretting what I said. "I mean if I made you feel uncomfortable or... I mean that didn't come out right... I mean... shit"

I turned around once again, avoiding her glance. I felt my cheeks burning. I was blushing uncontrollably.

"Don't worry. It's fine," she expressed with a slight smile, moving a curl behind her ear. "That was actually cute"

"Well thank you... I try. I try... But, let's get to work... I know you're a busy woman," I said cleaning her arm and prepping her for the tattoo.

Three or four hours had passed before the session ended. It felt so real. I opened up to her so easily. I felt as if this was meant to happen.

"So , Kehlani... I know you have to come in again. Just hit Cooth up with the details, sweetheart," I said spinning around in my chair taking apart my equipment.

"Definitely boo'" she said looking at her tattoo in the mirror. "You're fuckin amazing, Dominique. I might get you to do some other pieces for me."

"Damn, I must be good cause you calling me by my government," I said causing us to laugh in unison. "But ... um.. you should let me take you out sometime or just hang out outside of this shop... I mean if you don't want to it's cool..."

I finished wrapping her tattoo and turned around in my seat again to avoid eye contact.

"Let me think on that, Dom... You can text me tho," Kehlani said softly stepping towards me.

""Nah, Nah... It's cool. I was just asking... um... but yeah just hit Cooth up when you need to schedule something, love..." I said standing up and moving away from her.

"Well, I should be back in town by Friday after next," She said picking up her belongings and standing in the doorway.

"I'ma be here... so... I'll see you then baby girl," I said glancing at her briefly, seeing her bodyguard take her hand leading her to the door.

I heard her footsteps began to dim before hearing the front door of the shop open and close. This was going to be one hell of an experience. I went to her IG live immediately feeling flushed.

"Shoutout to Dominique at UrbanInk... She's up next y'all... and she's fine too..." she laughed and continued to talk about the festivals that she was heading to over the weekend with her friend Edward.

This was now my life... Fuck!

###