Chapter Fifteen

I walked onto the balcony waiting for her to meet me. Gabby kept her head down as she walked through the living room. Her face was full of guilt and she seemed as though she was contrite about her infidelities and deceit. She made it to the balcony, closing the door behind her. I leaned against the balcony looking at her expecting her to make eye contact with me, but she kept her head down and played with her fingers.

"What do you want, Gab? I don't have time for your bullshit. Say what you have to say and leave," my blood started to boil again. I couldn't believe that she came back into my life to fuck me over. She finally looked up at me with tears forming in her eyes.

"You." That one word was all the she could mutter through her cluster of emotions. That one word was preventing me from keeping my cool.

"The fuck you mean me? You had me, but you couldn't stop fucking your fiancee'. Like how? Gabrielle don't come here playing mind games cause I'm not that little confused high schooler anymore," I snapped. She looked at me confused. I had never raised my voice at her when she was like this. "You should've just stayed where you were, since you left me and didn't look back."

Her body language switched. She leaned back against the sliding doors and folded her arms. She looked at me with a mixture of annoyance and disgust.

"Well, I guess that confused little high schooler was smarter,  huh. At least she would've let me fucking explain myself!"her voice began to rise.

"First of all, who are you yelling at?  Second, why would I let you explain yourself if the truth is already clear for me to see? Gabby if this is what you came here for, you can leave."

"No. Look, Dom. When I came to the shop that night, I wanted closure. I had been in love with you all that time and I was finally moving on. I  was planning on marrying Kris at the time," she put her head down once again and began to play with one of her loose curls that hung in her face.

"And still are, if I'm not mistaken. You're really wasting my time Gabby. My girl is upstairs. Hurry this lifetime movie speech up, please," my face was turning red. It wasn't anger, it was more heartbreak and frustration.

"Dom, stop being difficult and just listen. When I saw you, I couldn't let you know. It was as if I fell in love with you all over again. And to see what that bitch put you through made me want to stay and see where we would go..." She paused and took a deep breath as if she was on the verge of crying. "After you fell asleep that night, I called Kristal and called off the engagement, but we still stayed together because I didn't want to hurt her."

"But hurting me was okay? I left Kehlani alone to pursue us. I let us go, when I started to realize you were switching up and that she really wanted to be with me. I should've realized that sooner...." I stopped and wiped my face, wiping my tears away in the process.

"Dom. I NEVER wanted to hurt you. I was trying to get the courage to leave her alone. Well, at least I was before dinner....She knew about us but she couldn't let go," she came closer to me and but my face in her hands. "Babe, that night I first saw you after not seeing you for five years felt like the first time I saw you across the hallway our sophomore year. I'm not here to bullshit you. I'm here to figure out if we're going to just give up on everything we had together."

"Gabrielle I can't-"

"You can't what? You always told me to go after what I wanted, and right now, that's you. Kristal is nothing to me anymore. The question is is Kehlani worth not having us." She moved my face so that we were making eye contact.

"Dominique do you need me to escort Ms. Carreiro out or will you?" Kehlani said stepping through the sliding doors. At this point I was conflicted. I looked between Kehlani and Gabby trying to figure out what to say. Kehlani had given me hell but not once could I genuinely say she fucked me over. But Gabby... it seemed like the only thing she was good at was leaving me and breaking my heart.

"Kehlani, please. Just give us a minute," I managed to say, wiping my face once again.

"I'll do you a favor and give you five, Dominique," Kehlani turned on her heals and walked back inside.

Gabby redirected her attention to me, pulling me closer to her by my shirt.

"Dom, why don't you just leave her alone? I'm here trying to get things together and fix us," she said using her free hand to play with one of my locks.

*Flashback*

We were sitting at Armstrong International airport in my mom's '96 Toyota Camry. Gabby sat in the passenger seat, running her hands through my curls as I leaned on the steering wheel.

"Dom, you really need a new car. Your mom's little clunker is not going to get you all the way to Rutgers," she was desperately trying to lighten the mood. "Pooh, look at me." She put my face in the palm of her hands and picked my head up from the steering wheel.

"How are we supposed to make this work? Gabrielle you're gonna be across the country and I'm gonna be at Xavier," I said softly choking back my tears.

"How about this. We get married and you move with me and go to Rutgers in the spring. Then everything will be perfect," she said playing with my lips trying to cheer me up. "You were supposed to laugh."

I forced a smile before pulling my face from her hands and reaching into my pocket.

"Here, I want you to have something if you really have to leave me, pooh," I took my class ring out of my pocket and handed it to her. I put my head back on the steering wheel. "If we have to end like this at least keep this."

"End? Babe, are you serious right now?" She said lifting my head up again.

"I love you, but we both know we can't keep this together. You have so much going for you and it doesn't include me," I said putting my keys in the ignition. "I know you have a flight to catch so I think you  better hurry up, love."

After we said our goodbyes, she headed into the terminal. She kept her head forward, refusing to look back.

*End of flashback *

"Leave her like you left me? Nah I'm good."

"Dom? Really?" She stepped back. Her voice cracked a little. She was obviously shocked at my response.

"I think it's time you leave, Gabrielle. Kehlani will escort you out," I opened up the door and walked through it. Refusing to look back.

"Dom! Dominique!" She called after me. I could hear the hurt in her voice. I ran to the room locking myself in the bathroom, sliding down the door to the floor. My cries drowned out Kehlani's endless attempts to get me out. I knew I wanted Lani, but losing Gabby hurt like hell.