Chapter Ten

James smiled warmly at his boyfriend, reaching across the table to grab his hand and give it a small squeeze. Thomas smiled back, the light dusting of magenta powder on his eyelids shimmering as he moved his head.

"This place is really fancy, James, and it's only our fourth or fifth date. I'm really not worth all this," Thomas said meekly, resting his chin in his free hand.

"Of course you're worth it, Tommy. Trust me, you deserve the entire world. Fancy dates are the least I can give you. You look really nice tonight, by the way. Purple is your color."

"It's magenta!" Thomas exclaimed loudly, causing several annoyed dinner guests to glare at him out of the corner of their eyes. James snorted, his eyes shining happily.

"Magenta, purple, pink, whatever. You look good in it, Thomas," James chuckled. He shook his head, an amused smile on his face.

"Ah, well, thank you. You look lovely tonight as well."

The two lapsed into quiet chatter, grinning at each other like idiots. After a moment, a server came up, his eyes trained on the notepad in front of him. He looked up at James, smiling tiredly at him.

"Bonjour, je m'app- ah, fuck, I mean-I'm Lafayette, and I'll be your server tonight. What can I get you to drink tonight, sir?" He asked, his thick French accent very prominent as he spoke to James.

James quickly glanced back at the menu, his eyes roaming the laminated paper before he settled his gaze on Lafayette again. "I'll have water. With lemon, please," He said politely.

"And you?" Lafayette asked, scribbling down James' order on his notepad. He looked over at Thomas, who was busy rearranging his silverware on his napkin. He coughed softly, causing Thomas to snap his gaze up to the server. Lafayette let out a tiny gasp, his eyes meeting Thomas'.

"Huh, sorry, what? Oh, drink. Hmm, chardonnay, if you have it," He said, sending a sheepish smile towards the man, who appeared to be frozen. "You alright there, bud?"

"D-don't you see them too?" Lafayette asked, looking as though he was about to pass out.

"I-"

"See what?" James cut in, looking extremely defensive as he glared at the man. His grip tightened on Thomas' hand, causing the other man to wince. Both James and Thomas stared up at the waiter worridly, their expressions anticipating.

This better not be what James thought it was. He knew there were people in the world, people who didn't get soulmates. But there were also people who got soulmates that already had a soulmate. They were called unrequiteds. More often then not, the unrequiteds just got sent on their way with a pat on the head and an apology. Occasionally, a poly would be formed, but that was incredibly rare, and there was no way in hell James was doing that.

"The colors," Lafayette murmered, looking almost as if he were in some sort of trance. He shook his head, snapping out of it, before gazing tearfully at Thomas. "Tell me you see the colors!"

James' heart practically stopped. He froze, his terror filled eyes stuck on Thomas. Thomas blinked several times, looking back and forth between his boyfriend and the waiter. He coughed, trying to buy himself time before he had to speak. He didn't have much time though, everyone in the restaurant had their eyes trained on him.

"Well..the thing is," He began, his throat feeling so incredibly dry that it felt like he was choking on the words. He refused to make eye contact with the waiter, staring only at James. "I've been seeing the colors for..how long's it been?"

"About two months."

"Yes, about two months. I already have my soulmate, I'm so sorry," Thomas said sincerely, chewing the inside of his cheek. "Really, I'm-"

Lafayette cut him off with a loud sob, covering his face with his hands as he fell to the ground. He shuddered, and by now, the entire restaurant was staring at them.

James' face burned a bright red. He hated unnecessary attention like this, it embarrassed him greatly. He'd just been hoping for a quiet dinner with his boyfriend, but apparently, that wasn't allowed.

A short, plump woman came running out from the kitchens. She was pretty, with caramel skin and curly brown hair pulled into a ponytail. The nametag pinned to her yellow apron  read 'Peggy'.

"Oh, Laffy, what's happened this time?" She murmered, placing her arms under his armpits and attempting to pull him up into a standing position. He basically collapsed against her short frame, shivering violently.

Thomas stared mutely at James, looking close to tears himself. James gave his hand a reassuring squeeze, his brow furrowed. This situation was so weird, neither of them were prepared for it, and James didn't like it one bit.

"Why don't you go out to the car, James?" Thomas suggested quietly, his gaze shifting back to the sobbing man and the short girl holding him up. Peggy looked up at Thomas, a bit of pleading in her eyes. "I'll explain what happened and make sure he's alright, and I'll be out in a minute."

James nodded and stood up, pressing a small kiss to the top of Thomas' head. He shuffled outside almost mechanically, looking extremely troubled.

Sighing, James unlocked the car and climbed in, shutting it firmly behind him. He rested his forehead against the steering wheel, biting his lip.

He just couldn't seem to wrap his head around the situation. Thomas had another soulmate. Thomas was the perfect match..for someone else. He didn't know anyone else who'd been in this situation before, didn't know what to do, or how to act. What if Thomas left him? Surely he wouldn't, right? James had him first, this random Lafayette guy couldn't just waltz in and steal him!

Taking a deep breath to calm himself, James glanced up to see Thomas leaving the restaurant. He sighed in relief. Soon though, his frown returned. Lafayette had exited along with him, practically clinging to Thomas' arm.

Thomas pushed him off, and for a moment, they just talked. Then, Thomas handed him a small slip of paper, patted his shoulder, and began to walk off. Lafayette yelled something and reached out to grab Thomas' arm. James couldn't hear their exchange, but he could see the obvious annoyance on Thomas' face. Still Thomas turned around. Lafayette said something and Thomas shook his head, gesturing wildly to the car James was currently in. Lafayette lunged forward, and kissed Thomas, who was now standing shock still.

●●●

Meh, this was kind of a shitty chapter. Next weeks will be better!

Thank y'all for all the reads and votes 💕💕