Chapter Twelve

"So you two..aren't..soulmates?" Thomas asked nervously, glancing back and forth between his friend, Charles Lee, and his boyfriend, John Laurens. "How did..what..How did you deal with that kind of stuff? I already told you about my- ah, situation, and you said you could help. I guess..maybe tell me the story of how y'all two met?"

Thomas was currently perched on the edge of a chair in Lee's apartment, the haze of cigarette smoke lingering in the air. Lee and John sat opposite him, curled up together on a loveseat. Lee had a cigarette dangling from his lips, one hand occasionally removing it as he spoke, the other one wound tightly around John's waist.

The smaller, freckled man wasn't even paying attention to Thomas, just staring adoringly up at Lee. Thomas would gag, if he didn't know that that was exactly how he looked at James.

Why had Thomas gone to Lee, of all people, for help? The truth is, Charles was Thomas' only friend, besides James. And Lee had experience in the whole 'unrequited soulmate' department. So Thomas had gone to him for help, even though his apartment reeked of dogs and cigarette smoke, and his boyfriend was always just a step away.

"Well, ya know. John's soulmate is some bitch-"

"She's not a bitch!" John interjected, looking over at Thomas for the first time that night. "Thomas, she's not. She's just..not my type. I'm gay, and-"

"-And your dumb ass got her pregnant," Lee said with a smirk, an evil glint in his eye.

"I was drunk!"

"Shut up and let me tell my story!" He exclaimed playfully, letting out a loud groan and rolling his eyes. John stuck his tongue out at Lee, a teasing glare in his eyes. Once again, Thomas felt the urge to gag, but didn't.

"Fuck you," John hissed, hitting his boyfriend's arm.

"I'll let you later, babe," Lee replied with a flirty wink, almost as if forgetting that Thomas was literally sitting feet away.

"Guys!"

"Shit, sorry not sorry, Thomas. Anyway, like I said. John's soulmate is this girl named Martha Mannings. Now, while our little Johnny was studying abroad in England, he got a little drunk, met her, and got her pregnant. As we know now, he's gay. So he tearfully explains this to her, and she's like 'that's cool, I guess.' And they're fine. John and I get to see his kid most weekends, and the kid stays with us two weeks out of every month. Martha now has a lovely husband, and I have John."

Thomas frowned. The story was cute, he supposed, but it really had nothing to do with his situation, and probably wouldn't help at all. He sighed, shifting uncomfortably on his chair.

"Well, that's sweet, but- It doesn't really help?" He said, his tone implying that it was more of a question than a statement. "What about your soulmate, Lee? Is John-?"

"Yes, he is. I'm not his soulmate, but he's mine. I'm the Lafayette in your situation," Lee explained, pausing to take a long drag of his cigarette before exhaling and continuing the story. "You're John, and James is Martha. Only, the situation is completely different, and why did you fucking come to me at all?"

"Charly, he just needs advice. Be nice," John cautioned, giving Lee a pointed glare and shaking his head. Lee just rolled his eyes again, sighing as he looked up at the ceiling with aggravated expression.

"He's right. If you don't want to help, I'll go, but I don't know what to do," Thomas agreed meekly, afraid to get onto Lee's bad side.

Lee knew they were right, however, he hated being wrong. Still, he cared about his friends, and Thomas had come to him for help. He just shrugged, giving his boyfriend and friend an apologetic- yet still somewhat shiteating- grin.

"Well, you love James, right?" Lee asked. Thomas nodded, looking incredibly glum. "That's all that matters. Just let him know that you love him, and I'm sure that this situation will fix itself right up."

Thomas bit his lip to keep from making a snarky comment, nodding. That was the advice that literally everyone had given him when he asked. It was frustrating, but led Thomas to believe that maybe they could be right. As stupid as it sounded, maybe he should just let it pass over, and things would fix themselves. That's what he'd have to count on, because at the moment, he didn't have any options.

"Well, okay. Thanks for you help, guys. I'll see around, I guess. Have fun doing..whatever y'all are gonna do," Thomas said with a sigh, giving them an awkward smile and standing up. He began to walk towards the door, somewhat glad to be getting out of there. For a moment there, he'd almost thought that Lee and John were going to fuck right then and there.

John wiggled his eyebrows in a suggestive manner, causing Lee to crack up and plant a kiss on his cheek.

"What would I do without you?" He asked, his eyes taking on a gentle fondness that he showed to nobody else.

"You'd probably die," John scoffed. Lee nodded, mumbling a soft 'Damn right I would'.

Smiling in a pained way, Thomas exited the apartment, letting out a sigh as soon as he was out of their line of sight. Well, that had been..interesting. It hadn't helped at all though, but maybe they had been right about one thing.

Waiting.

~♡~

It was dark out by the time Thomas came home. To his surprise, when he walked into the house, it was filled with the aroma of melting chocolate and sweet peppermint. Sniffing, he walked into the kitchen, where James was focusing intently on stirring a pot of something or other.

"What're you makin'?" Thomas asked softly as he dropped his things on the counter. He walked over to James, resting his chin on the small man's shoulder and wrapping his arms around him.

"Hot chocolate. The good kind," James replied, a small smile on his face. He stirred for a few minutes more, before tapping the spoon on the rim of the pot and shutting off the heat. "And that should do it. Mugs, please?"

Thomas detached himself from James and trotted over to the cabinet, pulling out two mugs- one a dark, navy blue, and the other magenta. He handed them to James, who poured a hearty serving of the rich liquid in each, topping it off with whipped cream and a peppermint stick.

"Viola!" He announced with a grin, turning around with the mugs in his hand. He handed one to Thomas, and together the two men headed up to the bedroom, where they drank and talked until they were too tired to keep their eyes open. Happier than they'd been in days, the couple fell asleep in each other's arms.

~♡~

Yay, new characters! Leerens is the shit, no? This chapter took for-fucking-ever, mostly because I had absolutely no idea how to write Lee, as I've never played as/ written anything involving him before. I think I did an okay-ish job though!

Anywho, I'm glad the boys get a little bit of happiness together before it all goes to shit once again.

Thanks for reading, don't forget to comment and vote!

-Hannah 💕💕