Chapter Thirteen

Thomas was slouched in bed, resting in between James' legs with his head laid on the other man's chest, happily typing away at the document currently opened on his laptop. He had a sleepy smile on his face, and every so often, let out a very soft yawn.

James was running his fingers through his boyfriend's hair, humming softly. He occasionally stopped to make a small braid or twist a strand up into a tiny bun, a pack of clear elastic hairties ripped open beside him.

"Tommy?" He asked, carefully securing the newest braid with a hairtie.

Thomas grunted in reply, continuing to type. It was his debate thesis, and it had to be perfect. His opponent was none other than the assholish John Adams, and if he lost to him again, Thomas wasn't sure he could face the rest of the club. He'd be humiliated. Beyond humiliated.

"Dolley- I mean, my sister really, really, really wants to meet you. And I mean, we've been dating for a few months now anyway, don't you think it's about time-? Unless you don't want to! But then she uh- maybe- well..the thing is," He stuttered awkwardly, cringing as he anticipated Thomas' reaction to what he was about to choke out. "Shekindainvitedmymomanddadovertoherhousesotheycanallmeetyouandit'ssupposedtohappenSunday."

Thomas froze at his boyfriend's panicked words, a flash of fear crossing his face for a moment, before it settled into a thoughtful, almost blank look. He shut his laptop and slid it off of his lap, drawing his knees up to his chest.

"Nice of you to spring that on me so suddenly," He remarked dryly, the sarcasm in his tone obviously a defense against the fear that he was feeling internally.

James frowned, shaking his head at himself. He should have known Thomas would react somewhat like this. Thomas had a tendency to overreact internally, whilst not show up any emotion on the outside, but James knew him too well, and instantly, he knew something was wrong.

"It's not a big deal, Thomas. We don't even have to go if you don't want to, it's fine," He said softly, sounding slightly dejected. Still, he pulled his boyfriend closer, his arms wrapping comfortingly around Thomas, who leaned back onto James in turn.

"I mean, I want to. And it'll have to happen eventually, right? I just- It seems scary," Thomas admitted with a shrug, before registering the slight dejection that James' tone held. He flipped himself over to gaze up at his boyfriend, an apologetic look on his face. "Please don't be all sad and stuff. I hate seeing you that way. I'll go, since it's already kinda scheduled and all. I just- What if they don't like me?"

"They'll like you," James assured him. He pressed a feather light kiss to Thomas' forehead, before pulling back with a sigh. "Anyone with half a brain would like you. Why do you think people are always staring whenever you go out somewhere?"

Thomas made a face, shaking his head in disagreement. James' words were true, however. Anytime they went out together, he always noticed at least 3 or 4 people checking Thomas out. James couldn't really blame them- he was constantly checking Thomas out as well- but it was somewhat bothersome. It just added to his fear that Thomas would find someone better and leave James.

"First of all, people don't stare at me. Secondly, what if they don't? What if I fuck up and say the wrong thing, or what if they think I'm too feminine or non-traditional, or what if they just don't like me!" He exclaimed, his eyes boring into James. These were all very reasonable possibilities, sadly, and both men could only hope that James' parents were different than everyone else that Thomas had encountered. "Then you either would have to choose them or choose me, and I don't want to force you to make that decision."

James pulled his taller boyfriend closer, holding him close. "If I have to choose..I'll choose you. I'll always choose you. You're my soulmate, Thomas."

Thomas sucked in a shuddering breath at James' words, his eyes widening in shock.

Did James really mean it? Would he really chose Thomas over his family, over his own flesh and blood? That was a sacrifice that Thomas hadn't expected James to make, which was part of the reason he was so scared of making James choose between him and his family. But James wanted him..James would choose him.

"You mean it?" Thomas asked, almost wearily. He'd had his heart broken one too many times, and while he didn't peg James to do what the others had done, Thomas also knew you could never be too careful.

"Yes, I mean it," James replied sincerely. "I love you so much, Thomas. Do you not know that?"

"I know," Thomas replied sheepishly, looking down at the bed.

"Good," James hummed. He shifted forward and began peppering his boyfriend's face with kisses, sometimes stopping to leave longer ones on his lips or to trail them down his neck.

When his lips fluttered over Thomas' collarbone, the latter man inhaled sharply, letting out an unabashed moan.

"Oh my fucking- Oh my god, Thomas!" James wheezed, pulling away with a loud laugh. "Did you just moan?!"

Thomas flushed red, crossing his arms over his chest. He gave a defiant shake of his head, acting innocent despite his heated cheeks, which gave everything away.

"N-no! I mean..yes," He mumbled, finally breaking eye contact with James and looking at the bed. He had a pouty look on his face, but anyone would be able to tell he was barely suppressing a smile.

"Hot," James said with a smirk, looking incredibly smug. He now knew one of Thomas' weaknesses, which would come in handy next time he needed something. Sure, that was a bit devious, but James wasn't afraid to play dirty.

"Shut up, Madison," Thomas groaned, giving his boyfriend an exasperated look and reaching out to smack his arm. "You probably have some weird ass kink like- blood or something. Or you like being called daddy or master."

"Wanna find out, baby?" James purred deeply, still smirking at Thomas.

"Take me out to dinner first, then we'll see," Thomas countered, sticking his tongue out at James, his sass coming back after the momentary stretch of embarrassment.

James hummed thoughtfully, before breaking into a grin and kissing Thomas' forehead.

"You win this time, you big dork," He huffed, feigning annoyance as he pulled Thomas close again. The taller man rested his head on the smaller's chest, happily cuddling into him with a kitten-like purr.

"I may be a big dork, but I'm your big dork," He mumbled sleepily.

"That you are, Thomas. That you are."