e l e v e n

c h a p t e r   e l e v e n

I was such a chicken.

Instead of following Officer Jeon to the office where he led General Min to, I'd opted for staying seated where I was, thinking maybe it was for the best if they did the talking for now.

Which, in all honesty, might have defeated the entire purpose of staying here in the first place but right then, I don't really think I cared.

"So why do you look like that?" A voice sounded out from my left and I looked up to see Taehyung cocking his head to the side curiously.

"Excuse you, that's not very polite."

"That's funny," he chuckled at that before going on. "But you know that's not what I mean. What I'm saying is, why do you look like you want to throw up ever since Yoongi showed?"

That was when my eyes automatically went to the only other person around—which was Namjoon, who was leaning deep into his chair across the room, having kicked back with a couple of his top buttons open at the collar as he chewed a gum.

Who was also now taking me in with sharp eyes, thanks to Taehyung.

Uh oh.

"I don't want to throw up," I shook my head quickly as I turned back to Taehyung, trying to dissuade the thought entirely. "I'm perfectly fine."

"Are you sure?" He pressed.

For a second it was almost like he knew exactly what was up. God, he looked so carefree and nonchalant that I'd never think he'd ever be that perceptive enough. Something about that told me he wasn't someone to be underestimated in his line of work.

"I'm sure," I nodded, wanting to be out of the scrutiny of him and his friend.

He shrugged as he leaned back and folded his arms across his chest, and I figured that was that. Jesus, if either of them mentioned any of that to General Min, it would be horrible. I'd maybe never live it down.

Before I could think of all the other ways I could go on to convince him, the far off door finally opened and both of them stepped out with Officer Jeon leading the way.

And I knew that was my cue.

"So General Min will take you home and maybe check out the place, if that's cool?"

Alright. I could do that. I turned to Yoongi, who was already looking at me in that indecipherable way of his where I never knew what he was thinking. That, I realized, was getting just as frustrating as it was intriguing. I looked away and back to Officer Jeon before nodding. "It's cool."

"Come back soon though," Taehyung said to Yoongi as he made a face. "I want to be done quick."

"I don't think we're going to be done quick, Tae," Officer Jeon said warily as he eyed the stack of papers Namjoon had previously placed on his desk. "We're probably going to be here well into the morning."

"I remember us pulling all-nighters like this," Namjoon said with a grin that showed off his dimples. "I'd waste every single day and cram the night before the exam. Nearly fucked up my grades over it too."

"We know, we were there," Officer Jeon reminded him dryly.

Seeing Yoongi move towards the hall from my peripheral vision, I squared my shoulders and took a deep breath. I'm making a big deal out of nothing, I told myself. Just relax, Faith. You're good. It's all good.

And then I made my way towards him.

Yoongi's eyes cataloged the living room as he did a one-eighty scan of my apartment from where we stood just inside the door before his eyes landed back on mine

"It's perfect."

Nervous about this whole thing as I'd been, I was truly glad he thought so.

I cleared my throat before beginning. "So when are you moving in?"

"Is tomorrow fine?" He questioned and I blinked.

Wow. This was really happening.

"Yeah, that's fine." I answered him. "But are you going to go back after you're done at the station? To the hotel, I mean?"

He nodded wordlessly.

Suddenly, Officer Jeon's remark flashed through my mind again. We're probably going to be here well into the morning, he'd said. Namjoon's reminiscent response that they used to pull all-nighters like that back in college too followed that thought closely.

I focused on the man in front of me, who was now standing with his hands in his pockets as he looked around some more.

He'd work until the morning and then what? Drive all the way across town just to get to bed?

I didn't even need to think about it as the words spilled past my lips.

"Or I could just give you the spare key and you could grab some sleep here? The bed's made and there's an unopened toothbrush in the bathroom. I mean, your hotel is thirty minutes away, after all."

There was a subtle shift in his expression, something so minute I wouldn't have seen it if I wasn't attentive. "You'd do that?"

"I..." I thought about all the times this total stranger helped me out when he didn't have to. He helped me find my best friend in a mess where I was too panicked to think carefully. He took me home—not once but twice, even when I insisted he didn't need to do that. He set me into offering him coffee and instead of keeping me in the dark, he told me limited but enough information to explain things when I asked him for it. He didn't have to do any of those things and yet he did. And maybe it just was me, but that was answer enough. "Well, yeah."

He looked back at me and after a moment, he nodded slowly.

"Then I'll have the key."

"I'll go get it for you," I said softly before leaving for my bedroom to retrieve one of the extra keys to the house that I kept in my drawer, all the while feeling no awkwardness and even a niggling feeling of something akin to success.

Night one and there was progress already.

Maybe this might not be so bad after all.

Hey there :) If you liked this, please do vote, comment and share! Thank you for reading!