Chapter 4 : Dear Diary

As I shared before, Cupid wasn't always the nicest to me. I'm going to share something with you all that I rarely share. I have to get this is out and in the open so you can learn why I'm traumatized by the word Love. Why the thought of opening up sometimes paralyzes me. I've always been a hopeless romantic, but because of the heartaches I've endured, it's easier to not believe in love.

For now, I'll tell you about Gregory Banes. The Gregory Banes, head of the basketball team at Midwood Highschool. At 17 years old, Greg was already 6'1 weighing 190 lbs. He had the body of LeBron James! The women loved his Hershey chocolate skin and the veins that popped out when he flexed. He was also known for his jet-black waves. Boy did he love his waves. All the girls wanted Greg, and I could see why! Looks, street smart, book smart and he played sports!

He lived in the same project building as me in Cypress Hill Projects in Brooklyn, NY. I would see him all the time but the most he'd do is a head nod saying, "what's up." There was something about him that always caught my eye. Not sure if it was the warm cologne, or his frame that always made me look twice but he never seemed interested. It wasn't that big of a deal to me.

One Saturday afternoon, Beth, a neighbor, Bianca & I were jumping double dutch on an empty side of the basketball court. On the other side, Greg and some other guys were playing a game of 3 on 3. I was wearing some light blue jean shorts with diamonds on the back pockets, a white tank top, and my white baby phat low top sneakers. My hair was straight and my strawberry lip gloss was definitely popping. It was my turn to jump and trust me I was ready to do my thing. I was one of the best jumpers on the block and all the boys knew.

As I'm getting ready to jump in, that's when it happened. Their basketball came rolling towards my way. I bent down to pick it up and there Greg was, walking my direction. Shirtless, 6 packs and sweat on his beautiful forehead. I was in a daze just from his arrival. For some strange reason, His sweat made me sweat.

He said, "I'm sorry, Sanai."

My heart froze immediately at the fact that he knew my name. Beth and Bianca knew how much I Idolized him and looked at each other when he addressed me.

I passed him back the basketball saying, "It's all good, can my girls get next?"

Beth coughed and looked at Bianca whispering, "What is she doing?"

Hell, I didn't know what I was doing or why that even came out of my mouth!

He said with a smile, "Sure, this game is about over anyway."

To be honest, I didn't know the first thing about basketball, but I'm an expert in looking cute while doing anything. That's my strategy, and to not embarrass myself. Greg walked away and the girls were ready to kill me!

"Since when you played basketball?" Beth asked.

"The minute he said my name," I said.

Now that I think about it, I sounded like a creep. I was just a hot teenager yearning for some male attention.

Bianca added, "You need help!"

"I agree!" I responded.

We all laughed.

I added, "Just to let you know, I'm guarding him or blocking him, whatever it's called! He's mine! Don't make me hurt y'all!"

They said in unison, "Whatever!"

"Ladies, Y'all ready?" Greg said.

Long story short, we played and lost badly. But that was the first-day Greg and I held a conversation. Of course, when I had the ball, I was putting my back to his chest as I was attempting to dribble. I was trying to put an arch in my back to distract him so I can score. I hypnotized him but It didn't work.