Chapter 1

I sat in the floor of my bedroom and stared at my bleeding wrist. The blade had fallen to the carpet as the thick red blood oozed from the deep cut. Just another scar to hide, as far as I was concerned. I wrapped a fresh bandage around the cut and secured it nice and tight, picking up my phone. As I scrolled through the contacts, one just kept sticking out.

SammiDoll(:

I put a smiley face beside her name because she was truly my best friend in the whole world. We had only ever hung out twice, but we talked constantly. Most of our conversation consisted of her future husband, Jinxx. We talked about the wedding, which would be in October, we talked about how happy she was to be with him.

I tapped the icon with her picture lightly, and put the phone to my ear, waiting for the call tone.

"Hello?" Sammi answered. Her voice was so pretty. Not too high, not too low. I wish I had her voice.

"Hey!" I said, my high-pitched voice sounding close to a squeek.

"Oh gosh, Cora, hey!"

"What's up?" I asked, feeling a new burning sensation in my arm.

"Nothing, to be honest. I'm just waiting for Jinxx to get home." I could hear the smile in her voice as she said her lover's name.

"Aww." I smiled.

"How are things with your parents?"

Sammi was the only person who knew that my parents hit me. I had been on the phone one night when my father came in my room, raging. I hadn't hung up the phone, just toassed it under my bed, so Sammi could hear what was going on.

"Not any better." I sighed.

She groaned. "Ahh, really? I hate that, I really do. Maybe you should come stay with us for a little while."

"That would be awesome!" I said, excitment building up inside me.

Sammi didn't say things that she didn't mean, so I knew she really wanted me to come stay with them.

"Do you think your parents will let you?"

"HA!" I said. "They wouldn't care if I died right now. Of course they'll let me."

"Okay!" She said, sounding excited as well. "Then meet me with your stuff... tomorrow at Hot Topic? At about 11 o'clock?"

"Okay!"

"I'll see you then. I love you girl, stay safe until then."

"Love you too. Bye!"

As soon as I hung up the phone I started running around my room, grabbing only the things I really needed. I looked at the clock. 7 o'clock. Time needed to move faster.

After I had everything I needed, I walked down the stairs, into the living room where my parents were sitting.

"Hi.." I said quietly. "What are you watching?"

"The news." My father grunted.

"Oh, well, I have something to ask you."

My mom grabbed the remote and turned off the TV, turning to look at me. "And just what is that?"

"Well," I began, clearing my throat. "Do you remember my friend Sammi Doll?"

"That freak with the bright ass hair?" My dad said. "How could we forget her?"

I sighed. "Well, she wants me to come stay with her for a few weeks, since it's summer time. Is that okay?"

My dad shot out of his seat like lightening had struck him.

"Stay with her? What, are you a queer now? You like girls now, do ya?" He slapped me across the face, knocking me to the ground.

"No, Dad, it's nothing like that. She just wants me to come st-"

"Shut up!" He says, kicking me in the stomach. "Go ahead, stay with her. But as soon as you get back, you've had it. I've had enough of your stupid little emo ass shit!" With that he yanked me to my feet and shoved me hard towards the stairs.

I climbed the stairs slowly, holding my side. As soon as I made it safely inside my room, I pulled my shirt up, showing a bruise already starting to appear. I felt blood on the inside of my cheek, and walked to the bathroom to rinse my mouth out. I walked slowly back to my room, crawling into bed and drifting to sleep.