Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

Delaney

My stomach was twisting a strange excitement as I unlocked my front door. There was something strangely satisfying about lying successfully, a sensation I'd never experienced before. It was mischievous and secretive, both at once; I wondered if the exhilaration of lying was the reason for Carlie's confidence. For me, at least, it brought about a feeling of invincibility.

After dropping off my bag upstairs in my room, I headed to the kitchen. But just as I was walking through the doorway, I ran into my dad. He had a tablet in one hand and a cell phone pressed against his ear.

"Right, okay, Ray," he said, stepping past me. "I'll be there in a few." He hung up the phone, acknowledging me with a distracted, "Hey, sweetheart."

"Where are you going?" I asked, surprised to see him out of his office so early. I followed him into the living room, where he swiped up his car keys and briefcase from the coffee table.

"Just in to work for a couple hours," he said absently. "There's a few things I have to finish up in the office."

I spoke without thinking. "Can I come?" I blurted. Dad turned around slowly, a quizzical look on his face.

"Why? I'm not going to be long."

"I..." He watched me expectantly. "I've been thinking about what you and Mom were saying. With the whole visiting your work and stuff? And I've decided—I've decided that it's a good idea."

Though he looked slightly less suspicious—and maybe even a little pleased—my dad still frowned. "On a school night? Are you sure, Delaney? You don't have homework?"

I forced a laugh, refraining from mentioning the English essay I had due the next day. "I'll finish," I assured him. "Really, I want to go."

After a moment of indecision, Dad broke into a smile. "That's great, Delaney. I'm glad you've changed your mind."

"So I can go, then?"

"I suppose that would be fine," he conceded. I grinned widely, hoping that would hide any traces of apprehension in my expression.

"Awesome, thanks, Dad!" I surprised him with a quick hug. "Let me just get my things."

Before he could respond, I dashed up the stairs and into my room. I dumped everything from my schoolbag into a pile on the carpet and threw open my desk drawer. From inside I selected several CD cases and fitted them with various micro-discs before dropping them into my bag. Then I added a jacket with a transfer drive zipped into one of its pockets.

"Ready?" Dad asked when I came pounding back downstairs. I nodded breathlessly. He seemed happy, so I tried to match his mood. I smiled until my cheeks hurt and fiddled with the cases at the bottom of my backpack, trying not to think of what I was about to do.

○●○●○●○

Dad and I ascended the steps leading to the main city building, which sat like a wedding cake atop a white marble pedestal. The building itself was white stone, with tall columns and a majestic dome that made it stand out among the highrises and power lines. Originally, I think, it stood in Olympia, but it was reconstructed in Seattle about fifty years ago.

As I gaped up at the hulking structure, my Dad approached the door, which automatically slid open. He stepped to the side and I hesitantly entered, passing through the metal detectors with out incident. As soon as I crossed the threshold, however, a large man with badge saying "security" stepped in front of me.

"Whoa, there, little lady," he said in a rumbling voice, holding up his hands. "Gotta get your bag checked before you can come any further."

I swallowed hard, blood rushing to my ears as I tightened my grip on my backpack's strap.