Chapter 38

Chapter Thirty-Eight

Delaney

When the cloth was finally removed from my eyes, the light was blinding. I had no idea where we were, except that wherever it was, it was unnaturally bright.

"Well, well, well," someone said. "Look who came to join us."

I would have recognized the voice anywhere, though I'd only heard it a few times before. Suddenly, I was fighting back an intense feeling of panic. I threw myself forward, but found that I was restrained. When my vision finally cleared, I saw that I was in a small, nondescript room with two doors. It was sparsely furnished, with only a metal table and stool for furniture. Trai and Abby were standing a few feet away, blinking furiously. All of our hands were still secured behind our backs, except now, the cuffs were also chained to the wall.

"It's very nice to see you all again."

I shrank back at the sound of the voice, just then noticing the man standing by the far wall, his back to us and his hands clasped behind his back. His left wrist rested carefully on a handgun in his back pocket, and though it was small, there was no doubt that it could do some serious damage.

Leary turned around slowly, a sinister smirk spreading across his features. He looked much the same as he had during our first—and only—encounter with him, though perhaps slightly more threatening.

"Leary," I murmured fearfully.

"Correct," Leary praised, nodding. With his eyes darting and unfocused and the sadistic grin on his face, he didn't seem entirely sane, and I, admittedly, was afraid of him. Maybe it was just because I was in handcuffs, and he had a gun in his back pocket.

I hated guns.

"What are you going to do with us?" I demanded. I was trying to sound strong and assertive, but my voice came out weak and helpless.

"What do you think?"

I narrowed my eyes, swallowing back a terrified squeak. "How should I know?"

Leary chuckled and sat down at the table, lacing his fingers on its surface.

"You'll find out soon enough," he promised mysteriously. I shuddered. "But first...I'd like to speak with the three of you about Nessa and Perfecta."

"What about them?" Trai questioned, after a wary glance passed between us.

It took Leary a moment to answer, and when he did, his voice was low and dangerous. "Despite their attempts at secrecy, I know what the two of them are planning. Nessa and Perfecta may believe that their conversations with you went unnoticed, but they are sadly mistaken."

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to sound nonchalant despite my furiously pounding heart.

Leary's eyes glinted dangerously a he slapped his palms down on the desk surface. "Did you think I wouldn't hear your conversations? Did you think I wouldn't read the email you sent? You were affiliated with the Pro-Inferiors before, and old habits die hard. I know that there's a rebellion looming on the horizon. I'm not an idiot, children."

"Yes, you are," Abby muttered under her breath.

Shaking his head, Leary said, "Your attitude is unimportant to me. I just want to know Nessa and Perfecta's plan. The exact plan, in perfect detail."

"Wait a second," Trai interjected, leaning forward against his bonds, "you said I, not we. Haven't you told Miracle about your—er—suspicions?"