Chapter 28

There's a picture of Dr. Leary on the side!

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Delaney

"Hey, you can't be in here!"

The rough, irritated shout shot into my ears and startled me awake. I sat up quickly, managing to both hit my head against the wall sit on my hand. Disoriented, I swung my legs onto the ground, blinking in the glare of the harsh lights.

"Stop that!" the male voice yelled.

I flashed a frown at Trai, who was now awake as well. He returned the glance, shrugging.

Just then, the floor shifted, the cells sliding away from each other with a screeching whine. I grabbed my cot to keep from pitching forward. The cells stopped about two feet apart, just enough for me to see Abby in her compartment to the right of Trai's. She was staring across the hallway with an expression of mixed shock and confusion.

"You can't go down there!" The same voice spoke again, and the sound of footsteps reached my ears, traveling closer and closer.

"Try and stop me," another voice spat, this one female. I recognized it immediately.

Nessa appeared in front of my cell a second later, confirming my suspicions. She slammed her palm onto a button on the outside wall, and the glass front of my cell slid away.

"Come on," she said briskly, her voice slightly strained. "We're going." She spun around and released Trai and Abby, turning back to me just as the guard jogged over.

"What do you think you're doing?" he demanded.

Nessa didn't look at him. "Taking the prisoners to get their breakfast."

The guard scratched at his dark hair. "You're not supposed to do that."

"Says who?" Nessa snarled, her eyes ablaze.

The guard’s hands clenched into fists and he seemed to find a sudden interest in the ground. "Miracle, of course. Who else?" He said this with some contempt, his expression becoming stormy.

"Well, that just sucks for her. Come on kids, we're going."

"Miracle will be angry," the guard warned.

"Oh, please," Nessa retorted. "Do you think she scares me? "

"I'm just following orders," the man mumbled, shifting from foot to foot.