Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen

Delaney

Every ounce of adrenaline in my body rushed out of me as I sank into the passenger seat of Trai's car. Just like he had on the way here, Trai leaned back against the headrest, his eyes shut. I let mine droop as well, trying to relax but doubting that I'd be able to fall sleep. I was just going to rest my eyes for a second...

"Delaney, wake up," someone was whispering in my ear. "We're back." I sat up groggily and rubbed my eyes.

"Hm?" Through bleary, sleep-tainted vision, I managed to focus on Trai's face.

"Come on," he encouraged, pulling me to my feet, "let's go." I allowed him to help me out of the car. The icy air woke me up instantly, and I realized that we were right in front of my house.

"I'll walk you back to the door," Trai volunteered, smiling.

"No, no, you don't have to," I said, and I meant it. The last thing I needed was my parents up my butt about a boy driving me home.

"Really, I do," Trai insisted. "And besides, you still have my jacket, and I wouldn't want you to get cold on the way to the door."

I sighed and rolled my eyes, too tired to argue. "Well, let's go, then."

At the front step, I turned around and pulled off Trai's jacket. "Um, thanks, I guess," I said choppily. "Here's your sweater."

He shook his head, grinning that incessant grin. "I think you want to keep it," he said, eyes twinkling with mischief. I envied the way the events of the past hours seemed not to have affected him in the least.

"Yeah, right—who knows where that thing has been?"

"Whatever, Delaney," he said lightly. "I'll see you later. Get some rest, okay?."

I nodded as he went back to his car and started the engine. I expected him to drive away, but he idled at the sidewalk until I opened the door and went inside.

All I wanted to do was collapse into my bed and sleep for the rest of my life. I was exhausted and angry and confused, and nothing sounded better at that moment than releasing myself to my dreams.

My parents, however, had other ideas.

"Delaney Escott!" my mother bellowed. "Where have you been?"

Mom and Dad were standing just inside the door, both sporting furious glares. I knew my lie about being at Lizzy's wasn't going to work; obviously, they had figured it out.

"I—um," I stuttered.

"We called Daria"—that was Lizzy's mom—"who said not only that you weren't there, but that Elizabeth was off at a party."

A party on a weekday? I took the out without hesitation. "That's where I was," I explained, the lie slipping from my lips with ease. "I was at the party."

Silence. I stared at them as they stared at each other, and hoped they would believe me. Then my mom smiled.

"And who was that boy who dropped you off just now?" she asked knowingly.

"He's...well...see," I stammered uselessly. Her smile grew.

"He's your boyfriend, isn't he?"

"Boyfriend?" Dad bellowed.

I shifted uncomfortably, painfully aware of the fact that my cheeks were turning bright red. "No, Mom, jeez," I muttered. "He's just a friend."

"Right. A friend."