03; boulevard of broken dreams

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me. My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating. Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me. Till then I walk alone.

- Green Day

  ❖ ❖ ❖ 

CHAPTER THREE - BOULEVARD OF BROKEN DREAMS

D E X T E R 

Once again, Dexter was forced into washing clothes as her contribution to the group. She couldn't help but want to murder whoever came up with the idea that the women do all the manual labour while the men were just sat around 'taking watch'.

In her grasp, she had a large bucket half full with soapy water by the fire and a basket full of clothes next to her that she had barely made a dent in. Dexter had always been a clean person, unlike Deb, because of her former lifestyle. Being the Bay harbour Butcher of Miami had effected her life in many ways, and learning how to clean up after herself was one of them.

The sound of Amy's careless and clumsy footsteps as walked over to Lori caused Dexter to look up towards the Grimes woman who was sat opposite her. Amy bent down with a red bucket in her hands and poured the contents into Lori's metal bowl.

"Any luck?" Lori said to the younger girl.

"How do we tell if they're poison?" Amy asked, looking at the mushrooms with curiosity. Dexter looked back down at her task, annoyed by the sudden disturbance from the quiet, but still listening to their conversation. Of course, Lori had tried to talk to the serial killer, but Dexter had shot her down every time by giving her short and vague answers to everything she asked.

"Uh, there's only one sure way I know of." Lori replied, shifting through the mushrooms.

"Ask Shane when he gets back?" Amy questioned, which caused Dexter to scoff quietly to herself and roll her eyes. The only question coming out of Lori's mouth when Shane got back was when they could go sneak off to 'wrestle' in the woods.

"Yeah, you got it." Lori answered, grabbing the bucket and getting up. "Thank you." She walked away, past Dale who was standing on the RV and near her son. "Dale, I'm heading out. Sweetheart, I want you to stay where Dale can see you okay?"

"Yes, mom." Carl said and played with his toys by Dexter's SUV.

"You too!" Dale shouted from the RV to Lori. "Don't wander too far. Stay within shouting distance. And if you see anything, holler. I'll come running."

"Yes, Mom." Lori mocked and walked into the woods.

When she was gone, Dexter picked up her washing bucket and moved it near Carl so that she could keep an eye on him. "Hey, squirt."