06; loosing grip

Why should I care? Cuz you weren't there when I was scared, I was so alone. You, you need to listen. I'm starting to trip, I'm losing my grip and I'm in this thing alone.

- Avril Lavigne

❖ ❖ ❖

CHAPTER SIX - LOOSING GRIP

D E X T E R

The Bay Harbour Butcher climbed into the van with Glenn in the passenger seat and started it up, turning it around so that they could leave as soon as Rick and T-Dog got the bolt cutters from Dale. Daryl was stood in the back of the truck, impatiently watching them from afar.

"Y'know, you could just go over there instead of standing around like a dopey moron. It would get them here a lot faster." Dexter called out to the redneck from the driver's seat. Glenn glanced at her with a look of horror, like she had just signed her own death sentence.

"I'll show you what'll get 'em here faster." Daryl grunted, suddenly leaning over the brunette to press the van's horn multiple times. He then turned around and shouted to Rick and T-Dog, "Come on, let's go!"

"That works too." She shrugged, clipping on her seat belt as she kept the engine running. T-Dog climbed into the back soon joined by Rick after he was given a few bullets from Shane. Daryl pulled down the back door of the van and then Dexter drove them out of the quarry. She tried to pay attention to the surroundings as she drove down the railroads, but the talking in the back of the van was proving to be a distraction.

"He better be okay." Daryl said calmly, "It's my only word on the matter."

"I told you the geeks can't get at him. The only thing that's gonna get through that door is us." T-Dog retorted, seemingly more agitated then Daryl was at the moment.

"You two bicker like two old ladies fighting for the last tea cup." Dexter called back to them through the rear-view mirror. Daryl sent her a glare before going back to silence.

Glenn tapped her on the shoulder a few minutes later, silently telling her that they needed to stop driving. Dexter nodded, turning off the engine and she pulled out the keys whilst he turned back to the others.

"We walk from here."

Dexter gathered her knives and followed the others out of the van as the group ventured into the walker infested city of Atlanta once more. Rick used the bolt cutters to cut the fence open and one by one, they all climbed through and over the railings.

"Merle first or guns?" Rick asked, turning around to face everyone else.

"Merle!" Daryl quickly cut in, "We ain't even having this conversation."