Chapter One: When Did The Black Cat Cross My Path?

"Many of my ancestors came from Europe, mostly Russia and France. Eventually they migrated to New York and made it here. For my Dad's family Bel Air has home for at least two decades now. My grandparents moved my dad and his brother here when he was only 10. Obviously, he stayed." I presented. Mr. Heck nodded and the class clapped. 

"Very good, Miss Grimm."

"Thank you." 

"I'm interested to know, why didn't you speak about your mother's side?"

"I wasn't able to get in contact with my aunt."

"Mary?"

"Yes. Have you met her?" Mr. Heck is a childhood friend of Dad. 

"I have. She is charming, did you ask your mother?"

"I never had the chance. She just got back from Florida." Truth was, I didn't know much about Aunt Mary and I didn't feel like talking to a stranger. I sat down next to my boyfriend, Jason McCarty. His dad is the mayor and we were childhood friends before we became an item.

"Why are you smiling?" I asked. 

"Harry, you're just fun to listen too." he answered. I ruffled his black hair and pulled up my pencil. 

"My dream is to entertain." He laughed. 

"Mr. McCarty! Miss Grimm!" Mr. Heck scolded. We apologized and went silent. 

"That concludes the presentations. For homework read chapter 4 and write three key features the chapter covers." he told us. The bell rang quickly after. 

"Harry, are you busy tonight?" Jason asked. 

"Depends." I answered. 

"I'm having some friends over for a pool party and it would be a shame if you didn't come."

"A shame?"

"Definitely." 

"I just have to attend." 

"Of course." I kissed him and grabbed my stuff. I saw Riley waiting for me by the door and I walked over to her.

"Did your presentation go well?" she asked.

"Yeah. How was math?"

"Boring."

"Well, I have good news!"

"What?" 

"We have plans tonight."

"Which are?"

"Jason is having a pool party."

"Fun! I can wear my new bikini." 

"Harriet Grimm report to Principle Mull's office, please. Harriet Grimm report to Principle Mull's office, thank you." the announcer said. 

"What's that about?" Riley asked. I shrugged. I walked to the principle's office and I checked my phone along the way. I had no text messages from Mom or Dad. When I walk in Principle Mull, Mom, Eleanor, and June are staring at me. 

"What is going on?" I asked. 

"I have news about your father." Mom told us. 

"What?" I asked. 

"Your father has killed someone." Mom answered. 

"On purpose?"I inquired.

"No, not at all. He ran someone over, he committed manslaughter. He is at the local police department now, but their will be a trial in a few weeks." Mom told us.