Chapter Six: There Is No Sweeter Innocence Than Our Gentle Sin

Church was located in the middle of town, it was small and old. I wore a white dress and my pair up in a bun. I clung to Anna, the entire time. We went straight to the church, many people already filled the small church. I sat in-between Cola and Anna on the pew, Farrah, Eleanor, Peter, and Marcus sat on the the other side of Anna. Mom sat with Uncle Fred and Aunt Mary, June went to bible school

 Mom sat with Uncle Fred and Aunt Mary, June went to bible school

"Who is that?" I asked Anna. I gestured to him.

"Joseph Brown." Anna whispered. 

"Does he have a girlfriend?" I asked. 

"Yes, Meredith Harper." 

"Good." I sat back. 

"What does that mean?" Anna asked. I shook my head. The pastor continued talking, I noticed Anna looking at a boy. He had tan skin, light brown hair, and green eyes. 

"Who is that?" I asked. 

"No one." Anna answered quickly.

"Shh!" Farrah told us. When the service ended, I found myself being introduced to the pastor by Aunt Mary along with Mom, Eleanor, and June. 

"God has gifted you with beautiful children, Mrs. Grimm." he told Mom.

"Thank you, call me Georgia." Mom told him. I saw Aunt Mary flick Mom in the back of her hand. 

"I will like to introduce my wife, Karen. This is my daughter, Evie and son, Joseph." he introduced. 

"Miss Grimm, will you like a tour?" Joseph asked. 

"A tour of church? Son, there isn't much to show." Pastor Brown laughed. 

"Still." Joseph insisted. He led me to the back of the church. 

"Will you like a cigarette?" he offered. I took one and asked for a light. 

"The pastor son smokes? Isn't that a sin?"

"I'm sure the Lord takes smoke breaks." 

"What is your name? You never introduced yourself properly." I kissed Joseph and then turned around. 

"Thanks for the cigarette and the tour." I told him. I let the cigarette fall to the ground and I stomped on it. Joseph grabbed my arm. 

"You can't leave me after that." 

"Yet, here we are." 

"I will figure out who you are."

"Sure you will." I walked off leaving the poor boy confused, I didn't why I did it. Maybe I took Mom's words to heart, but unlike Mom I regretted it. I felt my conscious grow angry with me, I agreed with it. I found Anna, she was talking to some girl.