Chapter II

''A waiter wouldn't get noticed.''

  Sam looked at the men and Lana with a prideful look in his eyes as he licked his fingers.

  ''That could work.'' Victor said.

  ''That will work.'' Nate said, ever so confident. The wheels in his head were visibly turning as he perfected the plan in his head. 

  ''So who's gonna be the waiter?'' Lana asked. 

  ''I'll get to the breaker room and kill the power.'' Nate continued.

  ''So, I'm the waiter?'' Sam asked. 

  ''You're the best pickpocket.'' Nate said.

  Sam nodded his head in agreement. 

  ''You'd make a wonderful waiter, I bet.'' Lana told him with a smirk.

  Sam looked at her and tried his best to keep a smile from creeping up his face. Something about her made smiling all too easy.

  ''You head down to the floor with Lana, keep an eye on the prize, okay? Let us know if anything... hinky goes down.'' Nate said to Victor before turning to Lana.

  ''Just look pretty and use that smile of yours to find out who paid to change the lot order.''

  ''Got it, boss.''

  ''Lana you've checked the weapons around here, right?'' Victor asked Lana.

  ''Sure have. All right, inside isn't anything special. Mostly 9mm's and para. 45's. Guards outside carry XCR's and fossa r-81's. I think it's obvious they aren't hesistant to shoot at us if they suspect we're up to no good in a place like this. ''

  Victor slowly nodded his head. ''Nice work.''

  ''Listen, we've still got this.'' Nate concluded. 

  ''All right, follow me, we'll cut through the cellar.'' Victor said as he started to walk away.

  Sam followed Victor first and started a conversation with him, while Lana and Nate trailed a bit behind. Nate had some trouble getting through the crowd of people, as they didn't pay enough attention to him to let him through.

  Lana put a hand on his shoulder and whispered: ''Watch.'' 

  She then proceeded to grab his wrist and lead the way through the crowd, all the while flashing toothy smiles to the men in the crowd. They were happy to part ways for her, and paid significantly more attention to her when she passed by. 

  ''I'm beginning to really appreciate Sully calling you in.'' Nate told her once they'd passed the dense crowd. 

  Lana laughed and shook her head. A few minutes passed where the two walked in silence. 

  ''I, uh, like your hair like that.'' Nate finally said. ''It used to be longer, right?''

  She chuckled. ''Yeah, it used to reach the middle of my back, I felt this length was a bit more practical, though, so I chopped it off.'' 

  ''It suits you.'' 

  She smiled at him. ''Thank you, Nate.'' 

  Lana was glad she had reunited with Nate. They had been on several adventures together. Though it might not have seemed that way, their relationship had always been completely platonic. Lana had had multiple nearly dead experiences with Nate, making them form a close bond. Even after being away from each other for four years, it felt like no time had passed. 

  Lana was startled by a strange hand grabbing her waist. 

  ''Hello, my darling. May I say you're looking marvelous tonight?''

  The strange italian man took her hand and planted a delicate kiss on her fingers. His hand never left her waist and his eyes were openly ogling the cleavage of her bordeaux red dress. From the looks of it, this man had a lot of money. He also looked like the type who didn't like rejection one bit. That combined with having lots of power can make a man extremely dangerous.

  Lana knew this, so she flashed him a smile and looked around the room to see where Nate had run off to. He had tried to catch up with Victor and was already at the other end of the balcony. 

  ''I am terribly sorry, sir, but I am afraid I have to return to my husband now.''

  The man's grip on her waist tightened as his expression darkened. 

  ''I've heard that excuse before, tesoro. I don't appreciate it when people lie to me.''

  Lana felt fear creeping up on her as the odds of her getting out of this decreased. She was startled as a hand pulled her out of the man's grip.

  ''There you are, dear. Did you find the bathroom?'' A familiar face said. 

  Lana looked up at Sam, and shot a smile at the Italian man. ''I'll have to take my leave now, sir.''

  The guy held up his hands and sent an apologetic look to Sam. ''No trouble, sweetheart.''

  Lana let out the breath she didn't know she was holding and gently moved out of Sam's grip. ''Thank you.'' She said sincerely.

  ''No problem,'' he replied, ''we'd better catch up with Victor and Nathan now, though.''

  She nodded her head and followed him to the other half of their party.

//

  Nate and Victor were waiting for Lana and Sam at the bottom of the stairs, close to the main room.

  ''What took you two so long?'' Victor asked, a bit agitated.

  ''Sorry, I got distracted.'' Lana told him. ''Let's go.''

  She ignored Sam's questioning looks as to why she didn't just say what truly happened. Little did he know that she felt weak. She hated that she couldn't deal with situations like these on her own, even if she prided herself in being a smooth talker. Guys like these always seemed to flip a switch in her, as if she'd forgotten everything she'd learned over the years.

  She didn't want the rest of the guys to think she couldn't handle herself, so she kept her mouth shut. Sam caught her eye, and looked like he wanted to ask her something. She ever so subtly shook her head.

  Forget it.

  He got the message and left it alone.