Chapter IV

''So when do I get to meet that partner of yours?'' Nadine asked Victor

''So when do I get to meet that partner of yours?'' Nadine asked Victor. ''Drake... right?''

Victor smiled at her and replied, ''That would be ex-partner. I have been flying solo for a while now. Drake's out.''

Nadine looked surpised. ''Oh. Like, dead out?''

''More like retired,'' Victor replied with a wink, ''Last I heard he ran off and got married.''

Lana felt like she would puke if this fake politeness would go on any longer. However, the next words spoken left her insides in a whole other turmoil.

''Well, then he might as well be dead, right?'' A voice Lana knew well many years ago interjected.

Rafe flashed Lana a sly smile as he joined the conversation. ''Good evening, miss Cliffs.''

She knew better than to drop her façade in a crucial moment like this, thus she returned his smile.

"Evening, Mr Adler."

She could swear she saw a glint of sadness in his eyes when he saw his sudden appearance didn't seem to phase her.

"So I see you two have reconnected?,'' he said, gesturing to Victor and Lana, ''any specific reason?"

"Just two friends catching up while on a... casual trip to Italy," Lana replied.

Rafe lets out a chuckle; "Casual. To Italy. You two have gotten too wealthy.'' His eyes were stuck on Lana like glue, but nevertheless he turned to Victor.

''Victor,'' he greeted, ''how long has it been? Ten, twelve years?''

''Fifteen,'' Victor answered with a warm smile.

Rafe chuckled and slid his hand around Lana's waist. Her posture stiffened slightly, which Victor luckily did not miss. Rafe smiled at Lana, but his eyes held something far darker.

''Yet here we are, still haggling over dead people's junk,'' he joked.

Lana slightly leaned away from him as she asked him; ''Didn't you take over your parents business?''

Rafe's gaze darkened as his grip on her waist tightened. ''My business now, actually.''

Lana knew she had struck a nerve, it had always been a tough area for Rafe. He constantly felt undermined by his parents succes, and felt like he couldn't escape their looming shadow. Had it been in the past, she'd even felt sorry for him. Right now, she felt satisfaction from his angered reaction.

Victor interjected quickly: ''That must be a tough job, you could probably afford to buy everything on the block tonight.''