Chapter III

''Shut up.''

  Lana didn't even try to hide her smile as Nate fails to pickpocket the poor owner of a keycard for the third time.

  ''I'm not saying anything.''

  Nate shot her a sarcastic look as he went in for his fourth attempt. Lana watched the scene play out and decided to lend poor Nate a hand.

  She walked up to the man and tucked her hair behind her ear before speaking.

  ''A little bird told me you are the guy running this auction.''

  The man looked surprised at her approach, but answered nonetheless. ''That little bird would be right. Though the building isn't mine, I just run the events that are hosted here.''

  ''I see. Must be an exciting job, especially when you get to spend so much time in such a beautiful mansion.'' She licked her lips and smiled at the man.

  Behind him Nate had finally successfully snatched the keycard from the guy's back pocket.

  The guy smiled at Lana as he launched into a story about the origins of the building. Lana played along and faked an interest in the guy's words. She kept nodding along, occasionally laughing at the man's lame jokes until she finally found an opportunity to leave the conversation without looking suspicious.

  She made her way back to the door, where Victor handed out four earpieces. Nate gave Lana a nod before making his way through the door.

  Sam paused for a second and lightly touched Lana's arm. He hesitated for a moment before speaking.

  ''Be uh, be careful, alright?''

  ''Always am.'' She replied with a smirk.

  Victor looked at Sam questioningly, what Sam ignored, as he made his way through the door as well. Victor shut the door and turned to Lana.

  ''Let's see what we can find out.''

//

  It didn't take long for Lana to find herself at the bar. The event was hosted for the richest people around the globe, meaning the bar was filled with the best alcohol possible. It had been a bad habit of Lana since she was a teen, yet she wasn't eager to shake it.

  She let her eyes wander around the room before she remembered her task; find out who paid to get the lot order changed. She tuned out the constant bickering of Sam and Nate in her earpiece and focused on the people surrounding her.

  Her eyes rested on a large man, most likely twice her size, who was gazing into the crowd with a sour look on his face. She smiled to herself as she made her way over to the enormous man.

  ''Good evening, sir.'' Smile. Sip your drink. You've got this.

  Surprisingly the man's face lit up as soon as Lana started speaking to him. He couldn't have been that much older than her, she would've guessed he was around his mid-forties. Though his hair had begun to become grey, making him appear older than he probably was.

  ''Good evening, miss. Are you enjoying the event so far?''

  The smile never left his eyes as he spoke. Lana came to the conclusion he didn't have much women speak to him on their own accord, a fact that she could use to her advantage.

''Very much so, though I did notice a change in the lot order. Perhaps someone didn't want to miss a certain object.''

  He nodded his hand agreeingly.

  ''I think I've got a hunch on who that might be. You know that kid that got rich through his inheritance. Short guy, about this tall. Can't remember his name, but I'm willing to bet he paid to get some ancient cross he's been boasting about half an hour ago.''

  Lana froze on the inside. She knew exactly who this guy was referring to, and it might cause some significant trouble for this treasure hunt.

  The man noticed the shift in her expression as he looked at her worryingly.

  ''Everything alright, miss?''

  Lana quickly composed herself and smiled at him.

  ''Please, excuse me for a moment, sir.''

  She turned around and disappeared in the thick crowd. She readjusted her earpiece and was met with an all too familiar voice.

  ''Nate, you heard all that?'' Victor spoke.

  ''Yeah, sounds like a lady is trying to buy you a drink.''

  ''Nadine Ross is trying to buy me a drink.''

  Lana pushed through the crowd of people trying to reach Sullivan. She didn't pay enough attention to the people around her as she mumbled apologies in Italian. Her head whipped up to meet cool brown eyes once cold fingers locked around her wrist.

  ''Lana Cliffs. What a pleasant surprise to see you here.''

  Lana forced out a wry smile as she looked into the face of her old friend.

  ''A surprise, certainly.''

  Nadine raised her eyebrows at the cold reply.

  ''Right. I just ran into Victor Sullivan and I couldn't help but make the connection. You guys came here together didn't you?''

  ''We sure did.'' Victor said as he appeared behind Lana and put a comforting hand on her shoulder. The simple gesture elevated some of the tension in the woman's body.

  ''I see. Eyeing anything in particular, Victor?'' Nadine said. Although she was speaking to Victor, her eyes never left Lana's. Her piercing gaze reminded Lana of many things she had buried deep down, for her own sake.

  ''Nothing much, just here to show Lana the beautiful mansion.'' Victor's voice had the same fake warmth it always had when speaking to potential threats, Lana could distinguish that blindly.

  ''Never been here before, have you?'' Nadine's piercing gaze shifts between Lana and Victor.

  Sam's shattered voice sounds through the intercom. ''Nate, who the hell is Nadine Ross?''

  Nate's reply is lost as the connection falters.

  Lana's eyes dart wariously over the crowd of people until her eyes meet the light grey ones she knew so well long ago. Her breathing hitches in her throat as the owner of said eyes approaches.

//

attached is a lil picture of lana in her dress i drew :)