Book 1 • Chapter 1

Haunted

Bianca

Bianca

"I think the place that I'm house-sitting is haunted."

I paused after my brave declaration, hoping that my softly spoken words had been heard by the intended recipient. I didn't want to have to repeat myself, and it had taken a lot of mustered up courage in order to force the statement out.

Anything paranormal was a difficult topic for me to discuss to begin with, because despite our decade plus years of best friendship, I knew that this was the one topic that the two of us had never agreed on.

I glanced at him, hoping for some kind of reaction. However, Finn continued to furiously type away on his laptop as he completely ignored my nervous confession. His eyes hadn't so much as flickered up, and it made me wonder if he had even been able to hear me.

The cafe was rather loud, after all.

"Finn," I nudged him from my seat across the table, using my foot to lightly press against his shin. "Finn, did you hear what I said?"

Finn frowned as he looked up finally, and I fought the urge to watch the perfect lips that I had daydreamed about a thousand times, and instead focused on his grey eyes - at least what I could see of them, as they were half hidden by his black rimmed glasses.

Usually those eyes were held a hint of laughter, and something else that I sometimes imagined was especially for me, but as with any time I brought up ghosts or anything supernatural, they were now more stern than pleasant.

"Oh, I heard you," he replied, his baritone voice an octave lower than normal - signaling his annoyance, "but considering the absurdity of what you've just said, I've chosen to ignore it." Then, without further ado, he refocused his attention back on his computer.

"Finn!" I gasped out, shocked that he could be so callous. How terrible, the least he could do would be to hear me out. Even though he was my best friend, sometimes he could be such a jerk.

I was being haunted, I could die!

"What if I'm right this time, and it is out to get me?" I told him. "Think about how you'd feel if I was murdered by an angry poltergeist and you had done nothing to stop it?"