Book 1 • Chapter 3

Impeccable

Bianca

Bianca

I had somehow entered the Twilight Zone. That was the only possible explanation for the current situation that I found myself in.

I had been shown into a grand sitting room, and was currently seated on a plush chaise. Miles had left after showing me to my seat, supposedly to get tea and cookies, and Damen had remained alone in the room with me.

He had regained his clipboard, which he had braced on his crossed leg, and he was writing something as he sat across from me in an elegant high-backed chair.

Besides Miles and Damen, it appeared as though one other person was currently present in the home. But, according to Miles, he may be late to this meeting that I was now officially invited to join for the night. Apparently the other person was currently studying in the library.

Because yes, this decrepit home seemed to have it's own library. Fancy that.

A lot of things were different than I had expected from Damen Abernathy's private residence. First and foremost was the fact that while the outside of the place was rundown and unwelcoming, the interior was anything but.

Inside, the walls and flooring were in pristine condition and the atmosphere and decor had a modern, Victorian flair to it. The walls were light, and the restored trimmings and flooring were a dark color in comparison. 

A crystal chandelier lit up the majority of the room, and the room was cozy thanks to the roaring fire that burned underway in the massive marble fireplace.

All in all, this was a stark difference than the creepy place that I had expected, and I had finally found that I was mostly able to relax and abandon all worries about being chopped into pieces and buried in the woods.

Or eaten.

Perhaps all this was legit, perhaps Dr Stephens was truly trying to help. I was actually beginning to feel very positive about this whole experience except for one thing - every once in awhile, Damen Abernathy would glance at me in the most peculiar way, and it was really beginning to put me on edge.