Frequently Asked Questions

F.A.Q.

Q

Q. Where did you get the inspiration for this story?
A. The Grimm Cases has been a story that floated around in my head for many, many years. I was always interested in Asian culture and medicine in general, and after I graduated high school I went to college for a semester or two, and then stopped. I wasn't sure what to do, so I worked as a nurses aid before deciding to attend massage school. My class included some introductory coursework and practice in acupressure and Traditional Chinese Medical thought. I really enjoyed it, so I continued my education in alternative medicine.

I took almost two years worth of courses in Asian bodywork, shiatsu and Chinese Medical diagnosis, which is based off Taoism and the wu zing (the Chinese Five Elements). It was during that time when I began to form a story in my head about characters based off the five elements.

Reverse Harem wasn't a thing back then, but in my mind I was already building one. However, in my earliest drafts the world, ages, and most of the characters were very different. The story was supposed to take place in high school, and the main female lead was going to represent Water. At the time there wasn't a 'paranormal' aspect of the story: no ghosts, necromancers, etc. And no huge society. But the characters would have had the abilities of their elements, personality, and were reincarnations.

Everything else—the society, world, fairy-tail integration (which becomes more pronounced in later books), etc—all came into play slowly throughout the years in my plotting.

Q. How do you balance your social and work life while continuously writing and posting?
A. I have no life.

No seriously. There's a lot going on in my personal life. I'm in the tail-end of my divorce, and I have a full-time job as a programmer and have custody of my daughter 90% of the time. I am also finally finishing my degree. I previously stopped my education with nine credits left, and capstone courses done.

Outside of that, there's the writing that I do. And I have a boyfriend. So I'm generally busy. But usually I write when my toddler is snuggled next to me watching her dinosaur movies, and at night.

Word sprints help when getting the work done.

Q. Any tips for aspiring authors that wish to publish books?
A. Keep writing, keep publishing. I personally like posting on Wattpad because I get instant feedback on what I've come up with, even if I know that I might change something later. Also know that not everyone is going to like your story (which is something that I'm working on personally).

Q. Who is your favorite character?
A. Why do you need to ask me that? It's like making me choose a child, lol. I love them all.

But the character that has been around the longest is Julian. I didn't have him named, but I had most of his character and personality created in my original thoughts of this story. However, he would have been a girl. So there's that.

Damen is the second oldest character. Originally he was supposed to be the MC's teacher, and older brother. So he would have been the only one who wasn't a romantic interest for the MC. So he would have turned his flirtatious energy to everyone else.

On a side note, has anyone been able to guess which fairy tale was featured for the first 100 chapters?