Book 1 • Chapter 2

Strange

Bianca

Bianca

One thing about small towns that was highly inconvenient was their lack of public transportation.

After I had looked up the address that Dr. Stephens had given me, I realized that to get there it required that I ride on the shuttle for about a half-hour, and then walk two miles in an area that I was not familiar with.

I probably should have told Dr. Stephens when he invited me that I did not have my license, but he probably had just assumed. Most freshmen did drive, after all, even though they were required to park off-campus.

However, I had not been allowed to drive, and even though I was eighteen it really had never been an issue. Usually Finn drove me if I needed to go anywhere, which was not often. And I had only been able to house-sit for my professor because she practically lived right off of campus.

Theoretically I could have asked Finn to drive me, but there was no way that I was going to tell him that the reason that I would be ditching him tonight was because I was going to meet with his brother. 

After all, if all went well then Damen would just give me some priest-blessed sage, or holy water, or something, and Finn would never even know what happened.

Of course there was always the possibility that Damen would tell Finn that he had met me, but since they didn't have a close relationship, it was unlikely.

All this angst just for a simple meeting. 

It was probably a sign that I shouldn't go after all. I mean, the ghost had stopped making banging noises earlier in the day. So that was always a good thing.

But then again, there was the incident just an hour ago when I had gone to check on the hanging plants in the greenhouse, and the ladder had been pulled out from under my feet.

So that kind of sucked, because I had landed on my face and it really did hurt. The lovely bruise that now adorned my chin was a testament to that.