Not Going to Work

Hey Fairies! So, I have a bit of good news! Since I created an update schedule (found on my profile) I can officially take this story out of hiatus! It will still only be once every several weeks that I update it, but I will be updating all of my stories weekly, on rotation! So, more activity from me, and from this story as well, since it is second in my list! ^_^

Thank you all for being patient while I took a year to get back into this story. My writing mojo is back now that I've graduated and my life has settled down a bit, so I'm planning to be way more active and get this story wrapped up soon! :D

~~~

"We about there?" Gajeel asked, sighing heavily. We had been walking for two days, and were getting closer to the cabin we would use as our hideaway until the mess with Zeref was resolved. I could tell Gajeel was tired of walking. He had been complaining for about an hour.

"Just about," I told him. "The cabin is just up ahead, and then we have to get through the barriers."

"And how are we supposed to do that?"

"Leave it to me," I said. "I helped set up the barriers, so I can get through them easily."

He was quiet a moment, then asked, "do you really think these barriers will hide you from Zeref?"

I shrugged. "Honestly, I'm not sure. I think they'll definitely delay his finding me, but I think he could break through them if he really wanted to when he finds me."

"If he finds you."

"When. Zeref is ancient, so I know this trick won't fool him for long."

I held my arm out and stopped walking, silencing his next response. We had reached the cabin, though you couldn't see it thanks to the barriers surrounding it. If we had kept walking, we would have gone through the forest as if there was nothing there—that was the result of the barriers. Unless you know exactly where the cabin is, it's impossible to locate by sight alone.

"Is this it?" Gajeel asked, looking around.

"The cabin is in front of us," I nodded. "Give me a moment, and we can get through the barriers." I took a pocket knife from my backpack and quickly sliced my index finger with it. As Gajeel looked at me questioningly, I lifted my hand, pressing my finger against what I knew was the barriers. My blood was absorbed into it quickly, and I felt the barriers open to grant me entry.

"Now your turn," I said, grabbing Gajeel's hand. Before he could protest, I sliced his index finger as well, pressing it to the barrier directly beside mine. "The barriers will recognize you now, so you will be allowed entry."

"What would happen if I had tried to get in without being recognized?"

"The barrier's spells would burn through your body like an acid, while at the same time injecting your body with a deadly poison that will kill you within a few minutes." I smirked when he audibly gulped. "Don't worry. It should work now."

"Should?"

Chuckling, I walked forward, seeing the cabin once I was completely through the barrier. Gajeel sighed when he made it through as well, and I chuckled again. "The cabin has three rooms, so we'll have our privacy for the most part. There is also a fully stocked kitchen, bathroom, and entertainment room."

"If this is a safehouse that doesn't get used often, how is the food in the kitchen still good?"

"A magic spell can keep food fresh for over a year—even meats and vegetables. One of the leaders also comes here about every six months to re-cast the spells, replenish anything that might have gone bad, and strengthen the barriers to make sure they're secure."