Just a Dream

“Gajeel,” the blue-haired woman cooed, rubbing my bare chest with her delicate hands. “Don’t tell me you’re going to make me wait forever.”

As I stared down at the small woman lying under me, I suddenly wondered how the hell I had gotten there—how she had gotten there. I was asleep, wasn’t I? Is this just a dream?

“You’re spacing out,” she sighed a small smirk playing at her lips. “Am I boring you?” With the tiniest flick of her wrist, she brought my head down to hers, and our lips met. I groaned when she licked my bottom lip and opened my mouth for her.

“Gajeel,” she whispered, grabbing a handful of my hair and pulling, “I can’t wait any longer.”

I groaned again as I gently parted her legs with my knee. “I love you,” I told her, pulling away to meet her hazel eyes.

She chuckled, flipping me onto my back. “I know. My sweet, sweet boy.”

“Gajeel!” I sat straight up in bed, breathing heavily.

“Gajeel, come on! We’re going to be late!” My roommate, Natsu Dragneel, called as he banged loudly on my door.

“I’m comin’!” I snapped, still flustered from my dream. No, it hadn’t been a dream. It had been a memory.

I quickly threw on my work clothes—black pants, a white button-up with a sleeveless black vest over top, and a pair of black dress shoes—and ran out the door after Natsu. It was nearly time for graduation from the academy, and all of the new recruits had been placed undercover for our final training. The results of this mission would determine who got to graduate and, ultimately, who was enlisted to become an Eradicator.

In a world where supernatural beings lived in the shadows, killing humans, it was up to the Eradicators to keep their existence a secret—and to keep them from killing anymore innocent humans. I had heard of the academy the year after I graduated high school, and had immediately jumped on board to join.

Those who have an experience with a supernatural being and live to tell about it face two futures. One, have your memory erased and forget about it, or two, become an Eradicator. Even if you aren’t a fighter, there are plenty of jobs among the different ranks. There were intelligence officers, undercover operatives, teachers at the academy, weapons specialists, and flat-out soldiers who specialized in extermination of the supernaturals.

Natsu and I were interested in becoming undercover operatives, and had been training for three years at the academy. Finally, graduation was right around the corner. I couldn’t wait to get a real assignment. Along with our friend, Gray Fullbuster, Natsu and I were at the top of our class, on our way to becoming high-ranking Eradicators. And then I’ll finally find you.

“Redfox, Dragneel, Fullbuster,” our commander, Makarov, said, bringing us to attention.

“Yes, sir!” We chorused, waiting for his orders.

“As you know, this restaurant is in a red-flag area. Meaning, several supernaturals have been sighted in the area. Because this restaurant is busy, we suspect that some will try to sneak in and take a few humans as they come and go from the seating area. Your job is to quietly take out any you see inside, and keep a close eye on the doors.”

“Right,” we nodded.

“The owner is a good friend of mine, and he’s been made aware that you three will be coming in tonight to guard the restaurant. He’ll give you instructions once you’re inside. Now, get to it.”

“This is going to be boring,” Natsu complained as we made our way inside. “There’s going to be barely anything to do!”

“Be thankful that we even got an assignment,” Gray snapped. “Some of the groups have to wait a few weeks before they can go under cover. We’re the first group, so we can finish here quickly and graduate by the end of the week.”