Unexpected Reunion

“You have got to be kidding me,” I groaned, looking around. We had just arrived at Fairy Tail, and were escorted back to the monsters’ guild by a silver-haired brute of a man who told us his name was Elfman. Apparently, he was some kind of fox demon, and was the younger brother to one of the leaders.

Now, as I stood inside the guildhall looking around at all of the supernaturals, I groaned again. Nearly all of them were women. In fact, I only saw two other men in the entire room—and they were Laxus Dreyer and Jellal Fernandez. This is going to be a long three months…

“About time you three showed up,” Laxus said, frowning. “Come on, let’s go upstairs.” We followed him to a bedroom upstairs, and stood at attention as he shut the door and turned to face us.

“The old man told you what your assignment was, right?” He asked.

“Aren’t we keeping an eye on things inside Fairy Tail, while pretending to guard some of the leaders?” I asked the blonde-haired man.

“That’s right,” he nodded. “I’m with Mirajane Strauss—the older sister of the man who led you three here, Jellal is with Erza Scarlet, and you three will be with Lucy Heartfilia, Juvia Lockser, and Levy McGarden.”

“What exactly will we have to do?” Natsu asked. “I know we’re supposed to be their guards or whatever, but what does that mean?”

“You’ll have to follow them around, mostly,” Laxus shrugged. “Kill anyone who attacks them, do what they need you to do for them. It’s pretty simple.”

“Sounds boring,” Natsu sighed.

“You won’t think that when you meet them,” Laxus chuckled. “They can be a handful, and they don’t take too well to the whole being protected thing. Mira nearly put me through the damn wall the first day I was here.”

“What?” Gray asked, shocked. Laxus wasn’t little by anyone’s definition, and he was one of the best fighters in the entire academy. The thought of anyone hitting him hard enough to put him through a wall was shocking to say the least.

“You’ll understand once you meet them,” he said.

“Laxus!” A feminine voice called as someone knocked on the door. “Don’t hog them all to yourself! I’d like to meet the new guards.”

“Speak of the devil,” he mumbled, going to the door.

“I heard that,” a beautiful, silver-haired woman smirked when he opened the door. She looked at us, and the two white ears poking out of the hair on the top of her head twitched. “Hello! It’s nice to meet you. My name is Mirajane Strauss. I’m a fox demon like Elfman.” She swished a white tail that was sticking out of the bottom of her red dress for emphasis.

“I’m Natsu!” The idiot announced, grinning.

“Gray.”

“Gajeel,” I grunted, still not happy about having to live in a damned supernatural guild for three whole months. At least. If we don’t wrap things up in that amount of time, old man Makarov might just make us stay longer than that. I nearly groaned aloud at the idea.

“Shall I send in the girls?” Mira asked, looking at Laxus. I frowned, noticing how his expression softened just the slightest bit as their eyes met.

“Yeah. Where’s Erza? Isn’t she going to come and meet them?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Sparring with Jellal,” she giggled. “She’s absolutely in love with the fact that he is proficient with a sword. I just hope she doesn’t kill him on accident, with all the fun she’s been having sparring with him.”