27. Mentally Solo

Argh, so sorry for the lack of attention I've given to this book 😖
     I'll try my best to get more chapters out within the winter break!

     Kyle's POV

     "Names?" Charlie asked us again.

     "Kyle Simmons," I said quietly. "This is Chris Wood," I looked at Woody. "And William Farquarson."

     "Ah, very good. Thank you," the detective smiled.

     I still wasn't used to his American accent.

     "Are we allowed to leave?" Woody shyly twiddled with his bow tie. What's up with him? I thought he never acts up like this.

     "Something's off," I whispered to Will, sitting on the left of me. "Woody's-"

     "-more aggressive," I know, he replied, giving a flash of concern at Bastille's drummer.

     We sat there, up until Charlie decided that we were asked enough questions, for now. A middle aged constable escorted us three out of the police station, saying that we could come back whenever we needed to speak to the detective. I spoke for Woody again, surprisingly, and I thanked the constable before we watched him go back inside the building.

     "Goddamn...it's hot here," Will uncomfortably adjusted his tie. "I've underestimated the capacity of America's temperature."

     "Same."

     "Can we just go home?" Woody begged, sweat drops rolling down his forehead.

     "Wha-w-why?" I looked at him in surprise. "Don't you want Dan to get help?"

     "We can't help him, Kyle!" He raised his voice. "Are you fucking blind? The bastard refused to come with us already, he's not going to listen again! Why can't you-"

     "SHUT THE HELL UP! " I cried, violently trembling as I clenched my fists. "I can help him!"

     I want to help him.

     He scoffed loudly before kicking a rotting tin can. Woody turned around and let out a deep and angry breath, suddenly lashing around to throw a punch at my face. Luckily he missed his shot, but unfortunately hit Will flat in the chest, knocking him to the concrete sidewalk.

     All I did was become a coward and run  away. That's all I ever did. Run. I never liked having to put up a fight against others, especially my own band mates. [Huh. Band mates.] We were the complete opposite of that. Dan, Woody, Will, and I always fought, never kept the peace between us. Band mates were supposed to have fun and do crazy things together like a family, us four were supposed to be brothers.

     But that wasn't going to happen in a billion years. I looked behind me and saw an ambulance carriage, right where Will was punched on the spot randomly by Woody. I felt guilty yet relieved that it wasn't me in that position. I knew that Will would be able to withstand one of Woody's punches. I was virtually out of Bastille at this point.

     I paced my run until I found myself in a quiet neighbourhood in a suburb area, the border of the countryside and city. Grand mansions filled the streets surrounding me, and the blinding shine of the sun was finally shielded by the tall homes that stood on the edges of each sidewalk, clean-cut and all dusted off, showing the higher class that resided here.

     Kyle? The gentle voice caught me.

     Delores?