Chapter- 7

After finishing my dinner, I got up and went to the kitchen.

I was cleaning my plate when I heard footsteps and peeked out from the kitchen door to find Aunt Jenna coming in my direction.

"Hey, I brought cupcakes," She informed me cheerfully as she placed the brown bag on the counter, turning towards me with a smile on her face.

"Thanks," I replied, drying the dishes.

"So, how was your day?" She asked hesitantly, leaning towards the counter.

"It was better than most other days." I washed my hands and wiped them on a towel. "Thank you for allowing me go for coffee," I added and smiled softly.

She nodded, her face brightening in surprise. "You kept your promise. Let's eat these yummy cupcakes now."

I nodded. "You can freshen up. I'll fix us a plate and coffee."

"That would be awesome," she grinned and quickly went upstairs before I could change my mind.

I shook my head and opened the packages, thinking about my aunt. She was my mother's younger sister. I didn't know exactly but she wasn't more than 30 years old. Sometimes, I wondered why she never got married. My mother told me that Aunt Jenna never thought about settling down. She always preferred her career over being in a relationship. She didn't even have time for anything other than her job and I could see that clearly.

Mostly, she came home only after 8 and had dinner at her office, but she never left me without food.

Today, she ordered a pepperoni pizza for me, which I knew from the delivery boy only.

Maybe that's why my parents were so confident about sending me here. They knew Aunt Jenna could take care of me.

I let out a yawn and noticed it was 9 p.m already. That explained, why I was feeling tired. My bed was calling me.

I went outside, holding the tray of coffee with cupcakes and noticed Aunt was already in the living room, watching TV.

She straightened up as I placed the tray on the table. "I was started to wonder what was taking you so long."

I smiled sheepishly in response and adjusted myself on the couch besides her.

"Do you want to watch anything?" she asked.

"Nah. I just want to go to the bed after finishing this," I replied and took a bite from a chocolate cupcake. "This is delicious, thank you so much!" I mumbled with my mouth full.

She chuckled, shaking her head. "You're still a baby Ash. I mean, Ashley," she corrected herself and glanced at me from the corner of her eyes.

"Thank you," I whispered and played with the hem of my shirt.

"You don't need to thank me for the cupcake..."

"No," I interrupted her and turned to face her. "For earlier... You allowed me to hang out..." I trailed off, not knowing how to express my gratitude.

"No problem! You can go out again but don't forget the rules. You've got to be home before five." She gave me a stern look.

"I don't think I'm gonna do that again," I said and leaned into the couch, closing my eyes.

"Why? What happened? And also you didn't tell me about this new boy."

My eyes snapped open and I turned to Aunt Jenna. "Which boy?" I asked, confused.

"With whom you went to the coffee?" She raised her eyebrows, hiding a smile. "You didn't mention anything specifically." She added when I gave her a pointed look.