Chapter - 15

Ashley slammed her locker shut, her bag resting on her shoulder as she turned to head home. Melissa came running in her direction and stopped in front of her, gasping.

“Woah, who’s after you?” Ashley asked, chuckling, and took a step back as she pulled out the earbuds from her ears.

Melissa's face broke into a cheeky grin. “Well, you're going to run with me, after hearing the exciting news I have.”

“What news?” Ashley questioned, cocking her head and putting a hand on her hip.

“There will be no fun if I tell you everything here.” Melissa turned around and started walking away.

“Melissa! Melissa!” Ashley yelled, running after her and tugging on her sleeve.

Melissa laughed and stopped, “Mr. Sinha is waiting for you.”

“Why?” Ashley whispered, her breathing picking up as she swallowed hard.

“Well,” Melissa pursued her lips. “He wants to talk to you about something important.”

Ashley stared at her, wondering what Mr. Sinha could possibly want from her. She had already failed the exam so there was no chance of her going to the competition. Maybe he would demote her from advanced math. Yeah, he must be very disappointed as she didn't pay any attention in the class.

“Ashley, relax!” Melissa's concerned voice snapped her out of her daze and brought her back to reality. Her rapid breathing pace slowed to normal.

“Thanks, Melissa,” she whispered quietly, squeezing her fingernails tightly against her palms.

She couldn't believe she was about to have another panic attack. She needed to control her emotions like before.

‘It must be a meeting regarding the AMC. Nothing else,’ she reminded herself, taking a deep breath.

**

“Leo, wait!” Ashley called out, spotting him in the parking area.

Leo stopped and turned around, grinning at her. “Oh, sup Ashley?”

Ashley blinked, crossing her arms. “You're really asking me that?”

Leo sighed, running his hand through his hair. “I didn't back out for you.”

“I didn't say that.” Her eyes narrowed as she tilted her head to read his facial expressions.

“Your eyes did.”

Ashley let out a frustrated sigh. “You can't do this, Leo, because I know why you gave him my name.”

“You know?” Leo crinkled his eyebrows together.

“I'm not your sister, Leo. You don't need to sacrifice your own happiness for the sake of mine,” she exclaimed loudly. “Stop whatever you're trying to do.”

His fingers curled in his palms and his jaw tightened. “I know you're not my sister, Ashley.”

The way he used her name, she felt a tight knot in her stomach, making her guilty. She shook her head, gulping, “Leo, I didn't mean it like that. But you need to understand this-”

Her words were cut off when Leo suddenly pushed backward, a cry of pain escaping his lips as he crumpled to the floor.

He lay on the ground, trying to move his shoulder with a hiss of pain, squinting his eyes shut and biting his lips.

Ashley kneeled down in front of him, gasping, and asked if he was okay. Then, she turned her face to see who did this to him.

Her jaw dropped when she found Ashton breathing heavily and glaring at Leo. She exhaled loudly, controlling her temper, not wanting to deal with Ashton. She offered her hand to Leo and helped him to stand up.