Chapter - 9

During lunch break, I was sitting alone in the cafeteria, eating the sandwich which was made by my aunt when Melissa pulled out a chair and sat on it.

I raised my eyebrows at the sight of her burger and she chuckled, "I decided to go with your advice." Then she took a bite and hummed, "This is heaven."

I shook my head, "you're crazy!"

She just winked at me and continued eating.

Then I remembered and asked, "Hey, I saw Ashton in our class but he is younger than us, right?"

"Oops," she shook her head. "It's my fault. I should have explained you."

"Explained what?"

"That it's me who is older than Ashton."

"But it's the same thing?" I asked, getting more confused now.

"No," she waved her hand in the air. "It's not because I'm older than you also."

My mouth fell. "What do you mean? God, this is so confusing." I rubbed my forehead in frustration.

"When I was in eighth grade, I got Typhoid during my final exams. My condition got worse and I was admitted to the hospital. I was not allowed to go outside for one month. So, I repeated the whole year."

I was taken aback by her words. "What? Repeated the whole year? That must have been hell!"

She shook her head, a small smile forming on her lips. "No. Because Ashton was there with me. He supported me, even helped me in my studies and you know what," she said, leaning closer as it was a secret, "he is the reason why I'm studying Advanced classes, especially Math."

I choked on the milkshakes which I was drinking, and Melissa immediately stood up to pat my back. "I'm okay," I reassured her and asked, "but what do you mean by especially Math?"

She stared at me for a few seconds, trying to understand why I was suddenly interested in her brother's life, "He is a genius in Math. It’s his favourite subject. That's why everyone was surprised when you finished that test before Ashton. I guess he is going through a rough patch. He doesn't study like before," she finished and was lost in her thoughts.

"That's what you were discussing in Math class?" I blurted out.

She narrowed her eyes but I could see the mischievous glint in them. "Why are you asking so much questions about my brother?” She wiggled her eyebrows, "what's up? Do you have a crush on him or something?"

I opened my mouth to protest but my eyes popped out when I noticed the devil himself walking in our direction.

"C'mon, you can tell me. I won't tell a single soul," said Melissa, who was unaware that his presence continued pursuing me.

"Shut your mouth right now," I hissed, glaring at her.

"Why? You're crushing on-"

I shouted, "Melissa!"

"On whom?" Ashton decided to interrupt our lovely conversation and plopped down on a seat.

"Um," Melissa nervously glanced at me and then suddenly started laughing. "You got it wrong," she stopped, scratching the back of her head.

"Okay then, correct me," Ashton replied and crossed his arms, making her more nervous.

"It's none of your business," I spat out when I noticed that Melissa was not able to sort this. I looked directly at Ashton and repeated, "It's none of your business."

He slowly nodded his head and said, "Whatever."

Melissa chuckled nervously  and I took a breath of relief but not before giving her a glare.