Chapter - 8

I was furiously typing on my laptop when my phone started ringing, making me groan loudly.

I was in the middle of finishing my homework. I didn't like anyone disturbing me during my studies. It interrupted my flow and then it became hard to concentrate again.

When my phone rang again, I decided to check the caller ID, making my eyes widen.

I mentally debated for a few seconds before swiping and answering it, "Hello."

"Hey sis, how are you doing?" A very chirpy, familiar voice asked me.

"I'm doing great, Charlotte. Thanks for asking," I replied sarcastically.

The line remained silent for few seconds before I heard her sighing. "I'm sorry for not calling you earlier. Dad asked me not to."

"Then why are you calling now? You could be in trouble if your dearest daddy gets to know about it."

"Ash, please. Don't talk like that. I can understand what you're going through-"

I cut her in, my voice getting louder. "No, you can't. No one can understand my pain and how miserable I felt for the last eight months. I didn't expect this from you, Char. When I needed you the most, you weren't there. Instead, you decided to fly to France on your stupid trip, leaving you own sister alone in hell!" I shouted and added when she didn't say anything, "I don't know why the hell you're calling me right now. To see how I'm coping or did Dad ask you to check up on me? Tell me Char, don't..."

I stopped when I heard her sobbing.

Damn! I cursed myself.

I could tolerate anything but not her tears. She was my little sister and I loved her more than the world. Quickly, my anger melted away and I gulped. "Char, I'm sorry. Please don't cry,"

"Please... Don't..." She hiccuped and added, "be mad at me."

"I can't be mad at you Char," I replied softly.

"I swear, Ash," she choked out. "I didn't want to go but Dad forced me. He asked me to leave you alone. He said that you needed to face this situation by yourself. It would make you stronger and our support would weaken you... I didn't really understand it at the time but I can see the results now."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Dad did this to make me stronger? And here I was cursing him all along.

But how could I forgot these eight months? I've been through hell without anyone to talk to!

"Does he know about... You know calling me?" I hesitantly asked.

"Yes. He allowed me to talk to you," she informed me and I could sense the happiness in her voice.

"Now? But why?" I asked.

"Ash, you're doing a great job there and it's not hidden from him. He can see the changes in you."

That made me feel better and increased the tiny hope inside me, but I couldn't feel excited. This was only the first step.

“Thank you for making me feel better, Char… but I just can't forget everything. Now, he allowed you to talk to me, but it doesn't mean you will call me daily.”

“Please, don't do this Ash. I really miss you... I want my sister back. Please…”

I rubbed my forehead and took a deep breath, “Char, I just don't want to get distracted. Try to understand.”

"I get that, Ash, but I am with you.”

“I know, but I want my parents to be with me too,” I said quietly, holding back a tear.