I glide along, my heart pounding to the music. I toss my head and bob it to the music. 'Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? I could really use a wish right now..." I feel the wheel under my steady fingers, the smooth plastic comforting. I hear something, and slow down. It sounds like a dog howling in pain. My body shudders and I stop my car, keys disabling the car. I turn to my passenger, his smile big and happy. Damn, I love him. I could never loose him. I grab the leash, the black husky panting in my face. He is pure charcoal, his blue eyes alarming. I hook the leash to his harness and he 'talks' back with a growl and a howl. I let him out, his black body trying to drag me already. I cling to his chain and he howls in anger. I pull him to the back of the van, and open the trunk. He hops in, and curls into his kennel. I have to get going, or I'll be late.
Unfortunately, I have a puppy soft spot. I shut my dogs' kennel and close the hatch back. I hold the chain for Volos, and listen intently. I remember last time and my heart strains. No. Not now. I stride towards two industrial buildings, and through a slim alley. A cat yowls at me, the eyes wide and claws extended. I narrowly avoid it as the whine grows so loud. My heart beats faster and I begin to lope. The alley ends and I see her. Ruffled, muddy fur, no collar, pointy ears, and a pronounced fractured foreleg is all I see.
B I fall to my knees and the dog never gets up. I prod it and it looks at me with sad eyes. I remember the lost dog signs. Alex Nunks dog, and I think this is him. I wrap my arms around the Basset Hound, and waddle back to my black van. I set the dog in the back, on a towel. I shut the door, and turn the key in my ignition. I hear it roar to life as I spin myself around. I see signs and cars, searching for Nineth and Manchester. I see it and crank the wheel.
I feel bad for man handling my van, but I have no choice. I have a place to be. I skid down the street and see the address. No one turns out to be home. I scatter my brains and come up with an idea. Her best friend! Of course! Turning and burning to tenth, I feel the wheel become hotter under my touch. Volos cries out from the back, and I realize the van is out of control. I look back. I cuss and realize a jock rear ended me. I skid into a spin, stopping at the destined spot. I pull the Basset out of the van, running to the door. Volos is whimpering, and I feel my heart breaking. I go up cement stairs, boots flying. My black leather trench coat flaps in the breeze and I pound on the door. Rain begins to fall as I pound vigorously on the door. I feel the Basset shivering and call, "I found Alexs' dog?"

A voice calls, "Calix?"

My heart stops. Oh $#85.It's her.