5
He wipes my tear, and whispers, "I'm sorry. They just rolled him in. I think... I think he died on the way out of the parking lot."
I feel my heart stop and beg, "Keys! This isn't funny!"
He looks purely haunted and replies, "No, it isn't." He stands and runs a hand through his medium length, naturally streaked hair. He stares out the window, and I notice that his jeans have a big, red stain on his legs.
His white shirt is smeared too, and I choke out, "What happened?"
He looks at me with stunning eyes and replies, "You did."
I look around and realize that I'm not in my own room. I rasp, "Fuck.' He nods and turns back to the window. I study the empty, white room, and the machines rigged up to me. I remember Alexs' reaction to Keys and ask, "Why are you here?" Keys grows stiff and tears roll down his face. He rolls a hand down his face and walks up to the end of the bed. He leans on the metal and locks eyes with me. He produces his phone and presses a button. Growls and snarls emit, I assume it was the boys' fight. I hear my mother fighting with the boys, finally kicking us all out. Tears stream and he comes to my side and sits on the bed. I hug him and I hear my brother ask one question that stops my heart.
Alex whispers, "Can you handle it?"
Keys replies stoickly, "Yes."
I cough on my own tears when Alex issues his wishes. I stare at Keys and ask, "Why did you two fight?"
Keys sighs, "Alexs' meds caused mood swings, hon."
I hear the recording end and whisper, "Why? He was such a good person."
Keys replies, "Yeah he was." His phone goes off and he looks down, paling. I snatch the phone, reading the message.
Hey, her stuff is there w the journals. It was a pleasure to know you.
I look up and ask, "What journals?" Keys hands me a tissue and wipes my tears away. He whispers, "The journals your brother wrote in every day. He
had planned on giving them to you after his diagnosis. He thought about you a lot. Trust me."
I nod and reply, "I do."
His head whips around, long brown and black hair in his face, and replies sheepishly, "What?" I stare at his blood red face. I giggle, tears still streaming down my face.
I laugh, "I trust you, stupid." He wipes the tears off his own face, tears sliding into his weak smile.
He hugs me close and replies, "Let's get you home."
I reply, "Can we?" I feel so childish right now, so excited to go to my new home. Then I can see Alex.... My heart stops and my tear flow like crazy. I sob, my body shaking. All the memories... I remember the first time I heard him on the drums. I stared in awe at him, so shocked that he could play that well. I can't play, but I can write. I've written a few of the bands' songs, unknown to them. Only Alex knew about the song writer. Alex always said it just was a connection of his, a pretty little girl. Keys hugs back and whispers, "I'm so sorry, Vie."
I sob, "Do the others know?"
Keys replies, shaking, "N... N... N..."
I grasp his arms and call, "Keys! Keys?"
He murmurs, "No." He falls to the ground. I jump from bed, rushing around it to his side...almost. I slip on the tile and slide into the wall. My chest screams in pain, as do my lungs and mouth. I hear doctors rushing over to Keys and I as my brain goes blank.
I wake to a pair of doctors talking. One says, "Romeo and Juilete, alright. The monster and the innocent. Such a shame.'
The second remarks, "They haven't died yet, though."
The first doctor hisses, "Yet. He's dangerous. He'll no doubt get her killed, just like he got Nina killed."
The second doctor whispers, "That wasn't his fault."
The first one growls, "No, he just let her get a roofie by accident? He should be charged for ignorance."
The second falls silent and I shift my weight. I can't open my eyes, so this must be a coma. The doctors speak no more. I hear yelling about a code, and manage to open my eyes. The world around me is dark, it must be night. I look for Keys, and call, "Keys? Keys?"
Keys calls, "Vienna?" I hope he shows up, but I can't see him. A clammy hand grabs mine and I yelp. He comments, "It's okay. You okay?"
I reply, terrified "Yeah, yeah. You... You oka... Okay?"
He laughs, hand tightening around mine, "Yeah. I'm fine. I was so worried, they said you were on the verge of death. I was so worried."
I giggle, deliherious, "You said that twice."
He laughs, "We can go, I have the clearance to take you back to the Band House." Suddenly he falls silent, and I turn to him. He asks, curious voice low, "By the way, who was the song writer connection?"
I ask, "How long was I out?"
He laughs hardily and replies, "A month. Now, who was it?"
I reply, "Me." Silence follows and he gasps. Staring into my eyes in the now lit fluorescent light, his eyes are wide with concern.
He whispers, "You... You... You wrote.... Wrote that?" I nod at him and he wraps me in a hug and his eyes are full of pain. He helps me out of the hospital bed, leaves so I can get into my clothes. I look into the mirror, and muffle my own scream. Behind me, is Alex. I freeze and he smiles.
He comments, "You've made me proud already, Vienna. Never forget that." A pat on my shoulder makes my words return to me.
I reply, voice quaking, "How is this possible? You're dead, Alex?"
Alex replies, hugging me close, "Only on the outside, mausbar. I still live in you. Also," he smiles broadly at me from over his sunglasses, "Don't give Keys too much trouble? He means awefully well."
I nod and he replies, "Goodbye, Maus" All goes dark and I feel peace settle in my heart. He said goodbye to me, and I'm okay with that. I open my eyes in the band house, in the room Alex and Keys fought in. I groan and stand up slowly. I'm in Alexs' chair, Keys is in Jacks' chair.
He's still asleep, concern etched into his face. I poke his arm, then shake him awake. He opens one lazy eye and whispers, "Who... What..." he sits up and cries, "WAIT!" He looks around me and demands, "Where is Ali Cat?"
I reply, "Alex died, Keys."
Keys stares and replies, "How did he die?" Then, Alex storms in and throws his bag down. I stare in shock and wonder, how is this possible? Then, I'm falling. I wake up for the last time in the band house, in my brothers' old room. I sit up and feel a warmth spread through my heart. What just happened? Was that a dream in a dream? I see Keys rush in and stare at me. He wraps me in a teary eyed hug. He never let's go until I push him off me. He whispers, "I'm so sorry."
I ask, groggily, "What for?"
He replies, shaking, "For not stopping him." I look Keys in the eyes and tip my head to the left. What is he talking about? Alex died of an infection.
I ask, fear lacing into my voice, "What?" Keys sits back on his heels and looks to the exposed rafters. Tears run down his face and his eyes have turned bright blue. His breathing is rapid, and he soon turns pale. I look up, but see nothing. I request, trying to reach Keys and snap him out of his trance, "Keys!" He never replies, but he starts shaking like a pebble in an earthquake. I sit up and call, heart in my mouth, fear and awkwardness my voices' main ingredients, "CRETE? JACK?"
I hear them call back, "What?" They have annoyed tones, meaning they are busy doing something. I set my resolve to get up as Keys collapses.
I scream, heart prolapsed onto the floor after falling from my open mouth, "HURRY! KEYS IS BROKEN!" I hear a slew of curses and my prolapsed heart beats madly. I fall to my knees and stare in horror. My vision fades and blurs, trying not to cry. The tears rebel, pouring out. Keys isn't moving, he's barely breathing. I see the other two rush up the stairs, staring at me as they do. Jack is there first, Crete not far behind. Crete looks fresh from the shower, and Jack looks like he just woke up. Crete throws Jack his phone and rushes to his friend.
Crete asks, "What happened, Vienna?"
I stare into concerned green eyes and reply, "He told me he was sorry, rocked back on his heels, staring crying, then shaking, then he collapsed."
Crete asks, concern and desperation in his voice, "What was he sorry for?"
I try to shake my tears away, and reply, "I don't know. He didn't say....uh.... He couldn't stop somebody." Crete deflates and stares at Keys with pain filled eyes. He looks at me again, and I see the depth of that pain. It punctures his very heart, it keeps him up at night.
He stares at me and whispers, "He looked at the rafters?" I nod and he comments, "He was talking about your brother, Alex." I tip my head and stare at him. Alex didn't die in the rafters.
I whisper, "Alex died of viral diseases." Crete wraps me into a hug and starts bawling. He shakes his head and slows his breathing.
He laughs, cold and harsh, "No. He committed suicide last night." I shove him, hard.
He falls back and I scream, "You don't laugh at Alex, got it?" His wide eyes and trembling form earn no remorse from me as I storm down the stairs. Vlad stops me, blocking the way with his body. I snarl, "Move." Vlad shakes his head.
He growls, "I can't..."
I push his chest lightly and snap, "Why not?"
He snarls, "YOU KNOW WHY!" He steps forward and I don't back up. I shoot around him and trip. I trip! I roll down the stairs and hit the wall at the bottom of the stairs. I get up and see Vlad charging me. I roll sideways and keep going down the stairs. I hit a booted foot, and look up. A man is there, face stock as all hell. Nad is here? I thought he moved to NY! Nad barks at me, "What you doin ere, kid?' Drunk. Nad is drunk. I get up and back up. I was safer with Vlad, hands down. I charge up the stairs, watching my family... I then see it. I see the form on the floor and my blood freezes. Alex is being loaded into a stretcher.
I sink to the floor and a familiar voice whispers "Come on. Let's go." I shake my head, whole body shaking. I hear that voice again, "Vienna. Please." I ignore it and tears fall from my face.
I whisper, "Why?" Vlad looks down at me with sad eyes and scoops me up awkwardly. He opens my bed room door as I cry heavily into his chest. I get set on my bed, Keys now conscious and inhaling water as fast as I'm crying it out. He looks at me from beside my bed.
He comments, oblivious, "What's wrong?" He sounds like that isn't water in his hand. I smell his breath and realize it's true, that is not water. He's drinking. Again. Alex warned me one day, after a long day with the band, that Keys drinks 'water' sometimes. He said water with an angry, protective, sad eye roll. I still think he was into it too before he came back. His strides were sloppy and he swerved a bit.
I begin to cry more at his memory, and whisper, "Alex." Keys seems perplexed, and stares. His face pales and he seems lost for words. He sits up straighter.
He looks down at the water bottle, and chucks it into the garbage from his spot. He runs two hands through his hair and sighs, "I remember now. We were chatting down stairs. He was a bit hammered, and I thought nothing of what he was saying. He was drunk! I never assumed he was serious!" Tears roll down our faces in perfect symmetry as realization strikes me and memory strikes him. He stands weakly and continues, "I heard the sound when I was coming up stairs. I turned, but it was too late. I ran up here, but I knew it was too late when I heard him hit the floor. I'm sorry, Vienna. I ran as fast as I could." I sit up, shaking now. How did I not see it?
I rasp, "No..." He wraps me in a hug and I feel our tears mingle to create one solid stream of tears as I weep into his shoulders. He rests his head on mine and I feel his jaw moving. He's mouthing something. He breathes slowly and I hear my own scratchy breathing.
He comments, heart beating, "Want to go for a walk?" I nod in reply and he let's go of me. He walks away a and I surge to my feet. I start walking towards him, but I fall on my butt. I stare at him in confusion. Why can't I walk? Keys turns and a knowing sigh escapes him. He walks over to me and helps me up. I realize something. Keys is a queer name.
I ask, as Crete and Vlad appear, "Why is your name Keys?" He freezes and Crete rushes over with Vlad on his heels.
Keys stares with wide eyes, open mouth, and gapes, "I... I don't know! I've always been Keys! Keys is my name, I don't know why it is but it is yes it is my name I don't know why but I don't know my parents so I don't know why who where my parents oh my word who are they do they miss me do they know me do I know them oh no I do not know them I need to go meet them who are they who the fuck are you strange men again I remember strange men from before but I hoped I never saw them again why are there strange men?" We stare in horror, and I manage to wrap the vibrating, hyperventilating, boy into a hug. He breaks into sobs and hugs me back with an iron grip.
I mouth at Crete, "What just happened?" Crete looks at me with an ashamed look. I mouth again, anger boiling, "What. Just. Happened?" Crete looks to the floor, tears falling. He leaves with Vlad, and I feel Keys shove off of me. Keys locks eyes with me and studies me closely.
He whispers, "I panicked, didn't I?'
I reply, taking his shoulders in my hands, "Yeah. Kinda." He seems upset, and looks to the floor. I whisper, "Hey. It's okay." He looks up and looks like he is going to say something.
He sighs, leading me back to the bed and we sit down, "I feel like you want to know what happened." I don't reply, but he takes it as a yes. He clears his throat, and nearly begins to talk.
Then, Crete barges through and cries, "The songs! We don't know who the songwriter is! How will we ever get new songs now!" Keys tenses his jaw and sighs with rage. I notice how Crete completely disregards the rage in Keys' expression, and cries, "Al... Er... Er... Er... Er... Fuck." I stare in dispair. We all know what Crete was about to do. He looks at me, and a look of silent regard coats him. He approaches me, and Keys becomes tense. I really don't understand what is going on here. Keys stands between us and Crete stares blankly. Crete asks, voice level, "Keys, move." Keys tenses and stares at Crete with confusion. I get up and shuffle to the door. Keys grabs Crete by the collar and stares at him with furious eyes.
He snarls, "Wrong answer. Bitch.' Crete stares with fear and I with shock. This isn't who I met yesterday. Keys growls, "My name is Cody." Crete pales as Cody/Keys throws him down and storms out. I skitter away and I catch dark, silvery orbs. I look up at Crete as he spits something out of his mouth. Red fills my mind and I run to him as the house shakes.
I hug Crete and whimper, confused and broken, "What just happened?" Crete hugs me back, head on my shaking shoulders. He rubs my back and I stare at him.
He comments, "I should have warned you about my brother. He has amnesia. So, it caused him to develop something like Multiple Personality Disorder. His name used to be Cody, and he was a huge Jack ass. He went on a trip with our parents to the capital, but the train derailed. Cody was in the storage compartment, so he survived the crash. The compartment was fire proof, and was the only part to survive the crash..." I nod, head spinning. I decide to finish the story with what I know now.
I attempt, "He forgot who he was, so you convinced him to be Keys. Keys was a better person, so you never tried to bring Cody back.' Crete nods and sighs.
He finishes, "So, sometimes he reverts to Cody. That's why I begged Alex to change his mind..." Smoke suddenly fills the room. Crete takes my hand, coughing and sputtering. The grey smoke is now black as we charge down the stairs. Vlad calls from a side room, and Crete calls, "GO, VIENNA!" I hesitate as the rafters cave in between us. I fly back, nearly hitting the wall above the door to the hall. I land on my butt in the blacked out hall. I stand up slowly, a chronic agony in my ass. I take off running, but slip on something. Well, it was two somethings. I scoop my brothers' drumsticks up, and get up even slower. My body screams in agony, and I crawl to the door. I reach the door and snag the handle by mistake. I scream in pain, pulling back much too late. I kick the door in my anger and agony, cussing and crying. That will most likely scar me for life. I kick it again, causing a hole to appear in the bottom. I kick it until it's big enough and crawl away. Leather finds my fingers and I scoop the stack against me. I see nothing but red as I exit the smoke. Fire departments must have been called already by the neighbors. I look back, and see that the neighboring house had caught fire, causing the band house to go up in flames.
Someone from the Fire Department charges up and demands, "Anyone else in there?" I nod and hold three fingers up. They look at the fire and grimace. I black out soon after, the sound of a collapsing roof silencing all hope and thought. How had it caught fire this fast? Then I remember. The alcohol cupboard, the 'water' bottles. The spills on the carpet. The house was almost set to burn.